Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2012 15:00

Inspiron M5040 IDT audio driver problem

I bought my Inspiron M5040 a month ago.

I decided to dual-boot Windows 7 with Windows XP x64.

On Windows XP I installed all of the drivers except the sound.

Now here goes the problem.

I downloaded a driver exactly for my model, and tried installing it first over an INF file.

It then opens a console window which says:

Starting Audio Service...

After that it says:

Audio Service failed to start.

After that it says that "IDT PC Audio has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Let's switch on to the SETUP.EXE method.

It stops sometime at:

Please wait while the system updates the audio hardware configuration...

It then opens the same console window as the one that opens in the INF method and again says that "IDT PC Audio has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I tried downloading SigmaTel drivers too, but these give me Code 10 errors (This device cannot start.)

Can i find a proper driver anywhere?

Thanks,

Zv45Beta 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 16th, 2012 20:00

I downloaded a driver exactly for my model

I don't know of an XP audio driver for the M5040 model. What driver did you try to use?

2 Posts

November 17th, 2012 09:00

I used a driver from the Dell Downloads section (R302718.EXE) which itself shows Code 10 (This device cannot start).

I have tried around 20 drivers but none worked. Also i switched to a 32-bit Windows XP (when i posted this i was using XP x64). But still no avail.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 18th, 2012 06:00

Thanks for replying. I thought you meant you had found an XP driver for your model. You might try experimenting with XP drivers meant for other models. The problem with the IDT drivers is that a lot of them that say they are compatible with several operating systems including XP, often don't actually work in XP. Here is an XP IDT driver for the Inspiron 1545 model that is known to work in XP. I would look for drivers like it -- you might stumble upon one that will work for you.

R264250:

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 18th, 2012 06:00

Also be sure to have SP3.

No Events found!