Highlighted
Aphanic
Copper

Inspiron N5110, problem with Intel Centrino 1030 wireless card.

Hello, I have recently acquired an Inspiron N5110 (Spain) laptop which comes with an Intel Centrino 1030 Wireless + Bluetooth card.

I received it 2 days ago and the wireless card is not performing as it should, when I boot up the system the adapter is disabled some times. I have to go to the device manager to enable it where it says it's disabled and code 22 is shown.

After it's enabled I can connect to a wireless network but sooner or later the connection is "lost", I don't really know how to explain it, it's connected to the network but the icon shows the yellow triangle stating "no network access" (it's a translation from Spanish, the actual English text may be different); sometimes even within the first 2 or 3 minutes. Restarting the adapter makes it work for another moment, sometimes it hangs; being restarting the only solution. When the triangle is shown, clicking it will only show the network it's connected to with the "limited access" tag and no other wireless network (in the area there are about 5, all of them are listed at the beginning).

The system is a clean 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, right now the only installed things are drivers (fully up to date) and the Office suite. The BIOS revision is the latest too, A03.

What could be causing this? Could it be a hardware problem? I have an older Inspiron 1520 which is also connected to the same router, it ships an Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN card and doesn't experience any problems.

Thank you for your time,

Alex.

0 Kudos
35 Replies
nckhammond
Silver

Re: Inspiron N5110, problem with Intel Centrino 1030 wireless card.

have you tried drivers from intels website?

HP is haveing the same problem, its a driver issue. this link gives hp's instructions and driver fix.

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/fix-hp-probook-and-elitebook-wireless-internet-disconnection-problems...

hp's driver may also work, but i would try intels first Smiley Happy

Nick

0 Kudos
MCP MAN
Copper

I have the same exact problem with the same exact laptop I recently purchased. I have tried the HP fix and it did not work. I am so fed up, I'm ready to return it.

0 Kudos
pdb08
Copper

I have the same Problems with mine. Has anyone found a solution for that? Or is there an offical statement from dell?

Thnx for your answer

0 Kudos
MCP MAN
Copper

I installed SP1 for Windows 7 in the updates and the problem went away......

0 Kudos
Palinka
Copper

I have got the same problem, with a Win7 64bit SP1 Professional from the beginning.

Do you have other idea?

Is there any official Dell solution?

0 Kudos

There is an reported issue from Intel regarding PSP (Power Save Poling) with most of their new crop of Centrino wireless adapters

www.intel.com/.../cs-006205.htm

They suggest first that you make sure that your router has the most up to date firmware, especially for older routers.

After that they have a work around that may help.

Use Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility to Set CAM

Click Advanced > Adapter Settings > Advanced tab.

Select Power Management and uncheck Default / Auto and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.

If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Use Network Control Panel Applet (NCPA) to Set CAM

Put the wireless adapter into Continuously Aware Mode using the following steps.

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.

Double-click Network Connections.

Right-click the wireless connection and click Properties.

Click Configure.

Click the Advanced tab.

Select the Power Management setting, uncheck Default / Auto and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance. Note: If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Please let me know if this helps any of you.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
pdb08
Copper

Didn't work vor me i installed the newest Driver from Intel but i cannt see the power managemt Setting. the Workaround for me was at the same Place there is a Setting called 802.11n Mode and i disabled that. Thats not cool but at least the Notebook Works now and Stopps chrashing mi wireless router And i cannt beleve in my Case this has something todo whit the Router firmware because that is uptodate and the Router is not old.
0 Kudos
Palinka
Copper

No, it does not work.

The router firmware is up to date.

I tried to use the wireless with another router and also the same issue.

Is there any solution or should i take back the notebook to the store?

0 Kudos
A1010A
Bronze

As a workaround set it to G instead of N mode.

Right click on the wireless icon, goto Netowrk and Sharing Center, select 'Change Adaptor Settings' on the left of screen, Right Clck on the Wireless Icon, select properties, configure, advanced, then set 802.11n  to disabled.  This will set adaptor to use 802.11g only which is slower speed but works.

Looking on many forums the Intel 1030 card has this issue across many different PCs when in N mode, so either it is a) unreliable hardware, b) requires a driver update, c) incompatibilities with some routers which will at some point receive a frimware update (this latter possibility is hard to beloeive as my router is almost new).  My vote goes with it being a driver issue.

For the time being I have set to wireless G and am will try contacting Dell support to chase Intel for a driver upgrade.