Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2014 08:00

Inspiron N5110 will not load windows

HI, this is my brothers laptop.  He stated that it just stopped working.. I turned it on and it says loading windows, gets to the Dell Inspiron page and then goes to the Windows Error Recovery page.  It says to launch startup repair, I've done that and it can't find any issues.  I've run the diagnosis from the boot up and it says everything is fine.  The hdd is acknowledged in the Bios and is the boot drive.

I have noticed that it seems that the CD drive is trying to start when it's looking for windows?  I've checked the boot in the Bios and it's set for the hdd, I also hit F12 and boot from the hdd, but it still sounds like it's checking the CD drive.   Any ideas?   Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2014 08:00

Try the memory modules one at a time in each slot to see if you can get Windows to load - one of the modules or sockets may be bad.  If that doesn't pan out, you likely have a bad mainboard.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 28th, 2014 09:00

If you haven't run an extended (takes a couple of hours) hard drive test, that's next.  F12 at powerup.

11 Posts

July 28th, 2014 14:00

I have run the ePSA  Pre-boot system test and everything passed.  I'm running the Thorough Test Mode now, I'm assuming that is the extended test that you are talking about.  Thanks.

11 Posts

July 28th, 2014 14:00

OK, I just finished running the Thorough Test Mode in the ePSA Pre-boot Systme Assessment and it said that all tests passed.  So I hit Exit and Reboot and again I get the error Windows Failed to Start  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  Back to where I started, any other ideas?  Again, it seems to be starting the CD drive while trying to load Windows, any idea about that?

11 Posts

July 29th, 2014 06:00

Also forgot to mention that it will not go into safe mode.  Click on safe mode starts to load, then blank screen and back to error windows cannot start.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If the drive passed all diagnostics, there's not much more you can do other than reload Windows - you can use the Dell quick restore to do this.  If it's Windows 7,

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=DSN_362066

11 Posts

Startup Repair   Problem signature:

Problem Signature 01   6.1.760016385

Problem Signature 02    6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03    unknown

Problem Signature 04     916

Problem Signature 05     AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06     1

Problem Signature 07      FailureDuringSetup

Thanks for any help.

11 Posts

July 29th, 2014 07:00

Thanks for the help and link.  Unfortunately after performing the factory restore and restarting the laptop, it does the exact same thing, keeps looping and Windows (7) will not load..............

11 Posts

July 29th, 2014 19:00

No change with the laptop after the memory switch, I'm gonna go with the bad motherboard.  Thanks for your help.

No Events found!