Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

H

April 4th, 2003 03:00

Inspiron headphone jack problems

I have a few Inspirons with loose headphone jacks.  The oldest machine is 2 yrs old and the newest is 9 months old.  After reviewing the posts on this board, it seems to be a common problem.  The headphone jack should be durable enough to last forever.  I've never had this problem on any desktop with a quality sound card.  Does Dell have any plans to improve the headphone jack so it doesn't become faulty so quickly?

298 Posts

April 4th, 2003 14:00

HighlanderHawk:

Please note that the DellTalk forum is not indicative of the majority of Dell systems - this forum tends to represent two very concentrated subsets of Dell system owners; those experiencing problems with their system, and those with usage questions.

Considering the amount of posts in this particular conference added every day, this doesn't seem to be a particularly common problem. It is unfortunate that two of your systems exhibit this problem. If your systems are still in warranty this would likely be covered.

7 Posts

April 5th, 2003 01:00

im haveing the same problem its verey loose and my comp is 3 weeks old

10 Posts

April 5th, 2003 05:00

I suspect this is a very common problem.  The design of the jacks on the Inspiron series is poor.  It is very easy to accidentally apply torque to the jack when a headphone plug is inserted.  The jack itself is flimsy and can't take this torque.  I think this is what causes the jack to become "loose" over time.  My connection is so loose that when I plug my headphones in, it no longer mutes the sound to the laptop speakers.  If I jiggle the plug or hold it with a little side pressure, I can get the speakers to stop playing.  I plan on calling Dell.  I certainly hope my warranty will cover this.  There has been no excessive force used on these connections.  They are just sub optimally designed.  Who else has this problem?

7 Posts

April 5th, 2003 23:00

yeah i have the same problem and i plan on calling as soon i get back from texas maybe ill have them fix i well im in texas

99 Posts

April 7th, 2003 02:00

complete care is ur friend. its definetly a wear and tear issue, my headphone jack which as been used a lot is mad loose, whereas my line jack which has never been used is ridiculouslytight.

7 Posts

April 7th, 2003 02:00

thats nice and all but  hadent even used my jack until the otherday....

1 Message

April 8th, 2003 22:00

And I would have this exact same problem as well. Mine is so bad the connection between my headphone jack/audio jack and my internal speakers isnt' working anymore....not even pressure/jiggling would work on it really. Headphones do work, but it's annoying at times wearing headphones.....

It's strange how my Gateway and Compaq laptops have never had any problems to this degree, yet my 8100 has about 3 problems that probably go beyond "install the latest driver" and such.

10 Posts

April 8th, 2003 23:00

Well, I just thought I'd give everyone an update.  My laptop was still under warranty so I called Dell.  They did not hesitate in agreeing to fix my headphone jack.  It's a stupid design, but apparently the jacks are part of the motherboard.  Dell has no way of replacing them, other than to replace the motherboard.  Bottom line, a computer technician showed up at my house today, replaced the motherboard and I now have a "firm", usable headphone jack.  In my opinion, the entire design of those jacks should be changed, but Dell fixed mine quickly and without complaints!

2 Posts

April 9th, 2003 20:00

@HighlanderHawk wrote:
I have a few Inspirons with loose headphone jacks.  The oldest machine is 2 yrs old and the newest is 9 months old.  After reviewing the posts on this board, it seems to be a common problem.  The headphone jack should be durable enough to last forever.  I've never had this problem on any desktop with a quality sound card.  Does Dell have any plans to improve the headphone jack so it doesn't become faulty so quickly?

Take a look at my post. It tells exactly why this is happening. The side of the card that holds the jack floats. It is supported by the jack resting in the whole between the case halves. open it up and take a look for yourself. It amazes me that the engineers were signed off on this one. Its like supporting your roof with it's shingles. I'm out of warranty so I am S.O.L. Dell won't admit it is a defect. I love my Inspiron, but I do too much audio stuff with it to invest in another one designed like this. : (

I have not seen any posts about this issue and am surprised. The design of the sound card has it so the card is not attached where you plug in headphones and mics. I cannot believe there has not been a recall on this problem. The reason being is that all pressure that is applied while plugging in mics or headphones and the constant weight is transferred to the card and jacks themselves. You can actually wiggle the whole card by touching a plugged in cable. It is very loose and causes crackling. I do a lot of audio with my laptop and now my speakers don't work anymore and I have to constantly move the headphone/line cable to get sound. I have NEVER dropped or banged my laptop around. I find that having this problem due to standard use is unacceptable. I will post a picture if anyone does not understand what I am talking about.

66 Posts

April 9th, 2003 22:00

I just had my I8200 headphone jack replaced and I was so surprised when the tech opened up and the actual headphone jack fell off the motherboard. Dell, please update the design of your headphone jacks so people don't have this problem anymore.

66 Posts

April 11th, 2003 05:00

well, after getting mine replaced and having it work pefectly for like 2 weeks...the jack again is loose...dell...you might be coming out to fix this again...

1 Message

March 5th, 2004 23:00

I have the exact same problem. The headphone jack is not only jiggling, but the cintacts inside are loose - much looser than the  - completely unused - line in jack.

Without replacing the whole motherboard, is there a simple way to deal with this?

Can I swap the line in jack for the headphones jack?

Can I convert the SPDIF output to analog?

April 6th, 2004 12:00

this is nice. after the loose LCD's flex cable, and the battery dead after a year , this is the 3rd thing on my 8100 to die because of bad quality/assembly. one thing 's sure, i m never buying dell again. was going to go mac anyway...

2 Posts

October 14th, 2004 15:00

Yes, unfortunately I now have the same problem with my headphone jack, where it is extremely loose on the inside, and I can get sound with headphones plugged into the jack, but when I pull it out, the jack won't revert the sound back to the speakers.  It is obviously a problem with the contacts inside the jack, and they don't realize that the headphones have been removed, so it doesn't send the sound to the speakers.

I've emailed tech support, and they've told me the same thing.  Since the audio is onboard to the motherboard, the entire motherboard would have to be replaced in order to fix the problem.  And, if your laptop is no longer under their warranty (as is in my case), just the labor alone is 269 dollars, and an additional 699 if the problem is the motherboard...  I might as well buy a new laptop for that much money... and it definitely won't be a Dell!

Obviously, a simple solution to this problem, if Dell does not want to change the layout of their laptops, is to put the audio inputs/outputs on a small riser card, so if that becomes damaged, all they would have to do is replace the riser card, not the whole motherboard.

But, alas, this is Dell, so they aren't going to change anything unless it helps their bottom line...  oh well.  S>O>L it is.

306 Posts

October 17th, 2004 04:00

Does anyone know whether the jack is thru-hole or surface mounted to the mainboard? Perhaps it can be replaced once notebook is out of warranty.

Edit:

I found a thread that helps: http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_audio&message.id=18929 .

Jack spec is found at: http://www.foxconn.com/Catalog/Spec/connector/JA6333L-6S0-TR.PDF
It is through-hole soldered, so should be replaceable with a good temperature-controlled soldering iron and solder wick or desoldering tool.  Much cheaper than a whole board, if you or someone you know can do the deed.

Thanks, jimco, for the link, jmb4370 for the part ID, and AJ Quick for the photos!

The next step is to find  a good source.  This part should be inexpensive (around $1-$2), but is hard to find in US, as Foxconn appears to be a Taiwanese OEM supplier.  Here are possible sources found on the web, in EEM, and the NoCal Electronics Source Book:

Foxconn sales:
U.S.
Alex Hsu
Product Manager
408-919-6158
alexhsu@foxconn.com

Foxconn International
Hon Hai
1668 Richard Ave.
Santa clara, CA 95050
(408) 749-1228
Fax (408) 749-1266
Sales Mgr Vincent Ito
Dist Mgr Vincent Ho

Distributors/Reps:
ESCO LLC (800) 622-3726 (408) 957-4000
Abacus Technologies (877) 252-3723
sales@abcuselect.com
DF Sales (408) 287-6041 juan@dfsales.com
Phoenix Enterprises (818) 992-8288 sales@phoenixent.com

No guarantee that these sources will deal with individuals.  Sent email to Parts-People.com, but no response yet.  Have not contacted any of the others, or Dell parts.  Doubt that Dell stocks other than the system boards, but it may be worth a try.  If anyone has luck finding a good source, please post to the rest of us.

If in warranty, by all means have Dell service replace your mainboard. That is apparently more cost-effective for Dell than replacing individual components in the field.

Message Edited by dspman on 10-18-2004 10:13 PM

No Events found!