Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2012 08:00

Inspiron ultrabook stuck at dell logo screen

Opened my Inspiron ultrabook today and as it booted up it has been stuck on the black screen with a dell logo. Worked fine the other day and I'm not sure what the problem is. Any help please?

2.6K Posts

December 14th, 2012 21:00

Hi Minelson,

To assist you further with this issue, I would request you to help me with the system model and the Operating system installed on the computer. In case you have windows 8 installed, you can try the following steps. 

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for enter the BIOS.
2. Navigate to the “Advanced” menu.
3. Change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
4. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
5. Reboot the system.
6. Go back into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key and change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
7. Save changes and exit by pressing the F10 key.
8. Reboot the system and it should boot normally into Windows.

In case the above steps don’t fix the issue, run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics. Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action.

Please write back, would be glad to assist you further.  

2.6K Posts

December 18th, 2012 22:00

Hi , 

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

1 Message

December 25th, 2012 11:00

I had same issue on my brand new ultrabook 14z.  Booted once to configure windows 8, then 2nd time I tried to start it came to the Dell Logo but no further.  Changing the settings above fixed and I was able to log into windows.

8 Posts

December 29th, 2012 05:00

I also had same problem and this fixed it. Is it permanent fix or is this likely to happen again?

1 Message

December 29th, 2012 14:00

Same problem for me. The suggested fix solves the problem. I too am interested to know if this will be a permanent fix?  

2.6K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 01:00

Hello Everybody,

I am glad to know that the steps fixed your issue. I would also like to inform that the steps that have fixed the issue is a permanent fix. 
Please write back if you have any further questions, would be glad to assist further.  

1 Message

January 7th, 2013 12:00

Hi Dell-Allan D, I have the same problem(stuck at dell logo screen) but I'm not able to enter in setup, when I hit f2 it complete the blue bar and change to black screen with cursor on the top left corner of the screen. The only other option is f12(boot options), it charge to the boot screen but no more. Any idea?

2 Posts

January 9th, 2013 18:00

Hi. I have the ultrabook 12 and have had it for a little over a month I had this same problem. What you said to do will not work for me, the SATA only switches from ATA to AHCI and back again. Do you have any other suggestions ? Thanks !

2.6K Posts

January 9th, 2013 23:00

Hello Taaliyaa,

I see that you have created a new thread for the same issue where Dell-Rajesh R have addressed your issue. Please click here to refer the thread.  

1 Message

January 18th, 2013 19:00

I have done all the procedures mentionned, from switching between Intel Smart Response, to AHCI, then from AHCI to Intel Smart Response again, and I have ran the Pre-Boot System Assessment the report of which came back as being complete and no problems or error codes were found. Now what?

1 Message

February 12th, 2013 14:00

Hi, 

I had the same problem with XPS ultrabook 14". Steps you have provided helped to fix the problem. Yet can you explain what was the problem? I believe this is a software fault. Right? Hopefully it is not my brand new ultrabook :D

2.6K Posts

February 13th, 2013 08:00

Hi Lexi1986,

Glad to know that the issue was fixed.

This issue is only seen on systems configured with the SSD cache drive and Hard Drive used for IRST. If you restart the system after it is forcibly turned off, windows 8 tries to use the fast start-up method. When this occurs, the system determines that the previous restart attempt was unsuccessful, and then tries to restart by using the full start-up method. However, this full start-up attempt fails because of an access violation that is caused by memory corruption.

Resolution to this issue is the steps mentioned in my previous post, which has perhaps fixed the problem that you have been facing.

2.6K Posts

February 18th, 2013 09:00

Hi Lexi1986,  

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

March 16th, 2013 17:00

Hello,

I have followed these directions and they worked, but then went back to being stuck at the Dell Screen again - now I am getting a blue screen saying that I need the boot disc, but when I try to run it, nothing happens?   The ePSA Preboot system assessment says there are no errors.   HELP!

April 6th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

I just got a new 15z. Unfortunately I ran into this issue.

The Dell Logo appears on boot and gets stuck.

I tried what was earlier in the post by moving around the SATA options.

All I got from Windows 8 was that "Your system had an issue and must restart". This continues in an infinite loop.

Now the only way I got this working was to go through F2 and in security - DISABLE SECURE BOOT and it worked.

I have to now wade the waters of support to see how to get a resolution to this.

No Events found!