Highlighted
H1Vltg3
Copper

Install XP FROM USB Flash TO USB Flash Dell Inspiron 910 Mini

I was given a Dell Inspiron 910 Mini notebook that had a bad SSD. I removed the SSD and am now trying to install XP on a USB Flash instead of buying a new SSD, but I have to install from a 2nd USB Flash because this latop has no CD/DVD drive.

I followed a few different tutorials, first making a copy of XP that is capable of installing on a USB drive: http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8
Second, copying the ISO to a 4GB USB drive using usb_prep8: http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/i [...] thumb.html
I have formatted the 2nd 8GB USB drive using HPUSBFW.exe as a NTFS drive.
When I boot the laptop with the XP Setup USB drive, I run txt based setup, it starts fine.
Setup shows the empty 8GB USB Drive as NTFS.
When I select the drive, hit enter, keep filesystem intact, I get a generic error saying that the drive is corrupt.
When I tried to format using setup, I get a slightly different generic error, but still says disk is corrupt and cannot format.
When I delete the partition, I can create a new one but cannot format the new partition, it says corrupt.
I have tried to format the empty drive as a FAT32 using HPUSBFW before starting XP setup, same errors.
As I have stated, my XP installation has been modified to install on USB Drives, and I have triple checked the 6 files I changed during that (the 3 .IN_ have all been repacked).
I made sure my ISO was saved properly in WINISO and mounted properly in D-tools before transfering to USB.
I have tried with different combinations of USB Flash Drives and USB Hard Drives of varying sizes.
I am using XP Pro SP3 March 2011 build.
Please help solve the disk corruption error as I do not want to spend any money on this if possible.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
H1Vltg3
Copper

Re: Install XP FROM USB Flash TO USB Flash Dell Inspiron 910 Mini

Anyone??

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

What does the BIOS (F2 at powerup) report for the size of the solid state drive?

0 Kudos
H1Vltg3
Copper

As I stated, the SSD was bad when I received the notebook and is irrelevant now. It showed as a 14gb drive in the BIOS but prevents Windows 7 setup from even loading unless the drive is removed. Windows XP setup hangs for a while when verifying the drive and shows it as a valid drive, but you cannot change the partitions or format without error. So now I am just trying to install XP onto a USB Flash without having to replace the bad SSD. I know XP can be installed on USB Flash, and have tried a clean ISO also a modified for USB install ISO. I just don't know if I need to change any other files besides the 6 in the tutorial I posted above. I do not have a external CD/DVD drive or I would try that.

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

It sounds like the system is already booting from your flash drive - that part is working.  The BIOS must report the full capacity of the drive, or there is a problem with the drive.

What happens if you choose to format the drive as FAT32 rather than NTFS?

0 Kudos
H1Vltg3
Copper

The 4GB XP setup USB Flash is formated FAT. The 8GB USB Flash I am installing to is NTFS, but I have tried FAT32, FAT also. Same error after selecting drive in XP Setup, the disk is corrupt. I can boot into either Win7 setup or WinXP setup with no issues, that is not the case. Windows 7 does not allow for installation on USB Drives and I have not found a tutorial to modify the files to do so. That is why I have modified the XP setup to be able to install on any USB Flash/HDD. Forget about the SSD though, that is no longer in the laptop. The BIOS reports both USB Drives as correct sizes and shows manufacturer also. I have arranged them to boot from the setup 4GB USB drive first, empty 8GB USB second, Hard Drive third but disabled since there isn't one. I really don't think its a BIOS issue, I have flashed the latest BIOS update in DOS using a WIN98 boot USB drive before attempting any of this. I have no issues booting from USB or detecting USB, it's only when trying to continue with setup that they say corrupt or cannot delete or creat new partitions.

0 Kudos

I have a problem with the dell inspiron 910 mini tried to do format from usb to install xp but when I go to pick the hard drive to make the installation of xp I get this message " 7327 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi" and do not let me keep aware nobody what to do?????

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

To format the drive you must boot from something else - you can't format the drive you've booted the system from.

0 Kudos

something else ??? that something else???

Please can you at with more detail voitheisis??

what should I do??

something else??? that something else???

can you please help me more detail???

what should I do??