Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2009 06:00

Integrated Webcam not working on Inspiron 1545

The integrated webcam on my laptop isn't working. I don't think it ever was. I discovered that I am missing the driver for it, so I went to the dell website and tried to download it. Near the end of the download I get an error message that says "an error occured when setting up the driver". Then it goes on like everything went right but the driver wasn't installed. I am frustrated because I got this laptop to communicate with my family this summer while i am in China. I have yet to be able to use skype to talk with them. Please help me out! I am willing to try anything. I have already tried to use a usb mouse to no avail. I can't find it in my device manager and i have an error message saying that "USB Device not Recognized" and that it has malfunctioned with out anything plugged into it. When I click on the message and do a bit of searching it seems to be linked to my virus protection, Kapersky but I can't be sure. Is there anything I can do short of going out and buying a new webcam? I would really like to just fix the exsisting one.

2 Posts

December 15th, 2009 17:00

Having the same problem with a Inspiron 1545 and windows 7.

I am desperate.

October 22nd, 2009 20:00

I have the same problem on VISTA studio XPS 1640. I am also desperate to use skype video to connect to family but cannot get the integrated webcam to work. If i try to install the driver, upon 90% completion, i get an error message that says "an error occured when setting up the driver". Sometimes it works for a few seconds upon restarted and then it again fails with "USB device not recognized".

Was your problem ever resolved?

4.6K Posts

December 16th, 2009 01:00

Having the same problem with a Inspiron 1545 and windows 7.

It would be best to explain your specific problem, rather than referring us to what others have written - which requires us to read all their posts too, to find out what the original problem was/is.

Whilst doing so is not time consuming in this particular thread, it could mean having to wade through pages of posts in other threads.

So please explain your own problem, and tell us what you've already tried doing to fix it, and we might then be able to offer more suggestions for you to try :emotion-5:

2 Posts

December 28th, 2009 10:00

Hi,

the basic problem is the same with me: integrated web cam is not working with Windows 7, but what is even worse: all the USB ports neither!

I do have the suspicion that these problems are linked - some sort of collision. I have a discussion ongoing on the Microsoft TechNet forum where very detailed informations are given (but with no solution yet) - probably you Dell guys have an idea:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/b77d8cc6-8031-425b-9367-d6f65d718c21/?prof=required

Thanks,

Andreas

1 Message

January 6th, 2010 10:00

The intergrated webcam on my inspiron 15 isn't working, although it did when i first had it. If i open dell webcam central it asks me to plug in a supported device. my usb ports aren't working either (they don't recognize any of my devices) so it might be something to do with that. HELP?

1 Message

January 30th, 2010 01:00

I believe I've got the same/similar problem. ( integrated webcam not working on dell studio 1535 laptop)

Symptoms are:

Webcam is not detected, and so Webcam central says 'Please plug in a supported webcam'.

If I look in Device Manager in control panel , I can not see anything for the webcam . 

I've tried going back to the factory image thats on the revovery partition, but that didn't help.

I've tried reinstalling windows from scratch , but that also did not work.

I've downloaded the driver for the webcam from the dell site.( the latest one, and the one that was current when I first bought my laptop), but when I try to install them I get the following error message...

The installshield window then says that the installation is complete and ask you to restart the computer.

I then restart the computer. But the problem is exactly the same.

I guess that the possibilities are:

1. Maybe the hardware is bust/disconnected.

Is there any way I can fix/replace the integrated webcam myself. ( Although I've had this problem for several months, I'd assumed it would be fixed by reinstalling and so didn't worry about it until I'd had chance to reinstall everything myselfy - at which point my warranty had expired ( that'll teach me).

2. Maybe the software is messed up.

Should the driver still install sucessfully, even if the hardware is not working? Or is that error message on the driver install a result of the hardware being faulty?

Thanks for any help.

January 31st, 2010 19:00

I am also having the same problem as explained in detail by SteD_123. Has anyone from Dell figured this out yet?

March 28th, 2010 14:00

Still no responses from Dell yet? Has anyone else on here figured out how to get the webcam to work?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 28th, 2010 16:00

First, if you computer has just had the operating system reinstalled or upgraded to Windows 7, you still need to install the drivers in this order.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

The Notebook Utility and the chipset drivers need to be installed first or the rest of the drivers will not install properly.

If you cannot find the drivers for Windows 7, then use the Vista drivers that match your system. Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit systems and Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit systems. The drivers and problem software will need to be installed in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

This is what I had to do to get the webcam and also my fingerprint drivers to install. The programs can be installed from the disks and if that doesn't work, then try goinf to Drivers & Downloads, enter your service tag number and download the Vista drivers from there. The webcam drivers and softwar are under input devices.

Rick 

5 Posts

March 29th, 2010 07:00

we have A bad video driver on all our 1545 somebody get dell to make the G775H video driver posted on there download page so we can download and fix our webcams.

May 4th, 2010 23:00

Followed all the steps and still nothing. I get an error when trying to install the software. Anyone else have better luck?

5 Posts

May 5th, 2010 07:00

call up dell tec. they will have you to go to dell take over your pc  they will fi your webcam driver

1 Message

July 5th, 2010 11:00

I have the same problem. I just bought a brand new dell inspiron 1545 and i installated Windows 7 Ultimate. Now i cant even find the web cam device in device manager it is just like it doesnt exist. Is it possible to solve it?

5 Posts

July 5th, 2010 21:00

go to dell tec tell them to take your pc over and then they will download the webcam dirver and then it will work

1 Message

July 5th, 2010 23:00

i have a insp 1545 less than 2 weeks old  web cam worked one time. called dell and got the run around for 2 hrs... support...  HA!   what suppport wanted 89.95 to check and down load driver on machine yes it has a driver prolbem i bet was corrupt from out of box .   and i have to pay  thanks for the support , dell support is a joke  would like to send both machines i bought last month BACK

No Events found!