Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2010 01:00

Internal microphone

Hi,

on LATITUDE E5500,

where is my internale microphone input ?

It does not work. I'm in Win XP professional, and I run sndrec32.exe and red buton to recorde. But nothing entered.

1-How to verify if  internal micrphone captures any sound ?

2-What are the settings for windwos audio recorder ?

thanks.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 06:00

I don't think that model has an internal mic. One way to find out if a particular model has a mic is to run the mic test in the audio section of Dell Diagnostics. To run Diagnostics restart the computer and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down f12. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot self assessment tests (PSA) for 3 or 4 minutes before the Dell Diagnostic starts. These pre-boot tests play some beeps and tones through the system speaker but this doesn't test the rest of the audio hardware, so you still need to let Dell Diagnostics run after the pre-boot tests finish. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the pre-boot assessment test.

When Dell Diagnostics does open, select 'custom', then the audio test. Diagnostics will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it, etc. Eventually the mic test should come up. If your model doesn't have an internal mic the test will notify you of that fact and offer to test your external mic instead.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

To configure Windows Sound Recorder for mic recording, open the program then:

Click on the Edit menu, then on Audio Properties.

On the Recording tab select microphone as the source.

Click on the red Record button and then speak into the mic. If the green line moves then the mic is working.

1 Message

March 24th, 2010 14:00

I have an E5500 and it does have an internal microphone. I didn't select it as an option, so I think it's standard.

1 Message

July 10th, 2012 15:00

The exterior mic input is on the right side by the headphone jack. There is an internal microphone, but it's just a little hole in the front between the SD card slot and the top latch. At least it lets you skype chat.....

No Events found!