Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 24th, 2017 17:00

Is laptop charger covered under warranty (Inspiron 13 5000)?

My inspiron 13 5000 charger has stopped working, no longer charges my laptop. Bought the laptop less than a year ago. Will Dell replace just the charger? Or will I have to send the entire laptop back?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 25th, 2017 04:00

It depends on whether the adapter is at fault, or the system is.

Unplug the adapter from the system but not the wall.  There should be an LED on it - or on the DC plug -- if that's on, the adapter is OK.

If it's not, as long as there's no evident physical damage to the adapter they'll replace it under warranty.

If the LED IS on, the problem is with the DC jack in the system or the mainboard itself - not the adapter.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

July 25th, 2017 10:00

Hi SC300,

ejn63 already answered this perfectly, but if you need me to see about setting up service, please Private Message me your Service Tag. Also, let me know the results from what was detailed about ruling out the system board/charger etc. 

Best regards,

Brad

2 Posts

July 25th, 2017 11:00

It's the fault of the adapter, not the laptop. The LED on the charger does not light up when plugged in. I went to a Microsoft store to try one of their chargers and it works fine on my laptop.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 25th, 2017 15:00

Contact Dell for a warranty replacement -- as long as it's not physically damaged, they will replace it.

No Events found!