Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

February 26th, 2008 19:00

Keyboard- The question mark, coma and all the buttons around it do not work- letters all work fine

Hello! This iis my first time posting and first time owning a computer so please bare with me. I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525. I love it. However, the keyboard is not functioning properly and i am not sure if I need to switch something or make an adjments somewhere or if the keyboard is malfunctioning and I need to return the system.

When I attempt to use the question mark, comas, Great than or lesser than symbols, or any other symbols next to it they do not work they make strange E symbols with a little symbol above the e's. I ned this fixed it is super frustrating.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

34 Posts

February 26th, 2008 20:00

I'm going to assume you're running windows Vista :) The language settings are located from Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Regional and Language Options.  From there you should be able to make sure you have the proper language set and keyboard layout set. Different languages have different characters show up for different key strokes.

If they're set correctly then it could be a bad keyboard, faulty keyboard connection to the motherboard, or something really screwy in windows.

Keyboards are the #1 failing component on notebooks though.

I wouldn't recomment trying to reseat the cable connection from the keyboard onto the motherboard without calling tech support though. They should be able to help guide you through the process if you decide to go that route.  Chances are, they'd make you reseat the keyboard before replacing it for you anyways, so if it continues to have issues it may be something to try.

Thanks.... How do i check the language settings for my keyboard? If you dont mind giving me the steps that would be a big help. 

P.S I am on my work computer so as you can see the ? mark and others are working normally.

Thank you again

34 Posts

Sounds like the keyboard is working; at least to an extent. What are the language settings for your keyboard? When odd characters appear that'd definately be the first thing I'd check.

February 27th, 2008 02:00

Thanks.. I am at home so I can show you how it appears É Éàààà^;;è;^ppp^^ççààààè;.,éé I just pressed a bunch of keys on the side. Its not the language i have attempted to adjust and it still is not working properÉÉÉ who knowsÉÉÉ

No Events found!