Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2017 02:00

Laptop 'Plugged in, not charging' problem

Hi I have recently started having trouble with my laptop being plugged in but not charging most of the time. I receive an alert when I start up the laptop saying that the Ac Power Adapter Wattage cannot be determined, however the charger used to (and still on occasions) work fine, but slowly this has seemed to start happening more and more frequently over time. Usually however after I have the computer plugged in for a while it will start randomly charging, but sometimes this can happen in minutes sometimes it can take several hours. I have tried using the laptop without the battery and the same thing happens so I know it is not that. Is there a way I can find out what is causing the problem? I believe it is most likely wither the adapter or the power jack but I am not sure to to tell which one.

Laptop is a Dell Latitude E5410 if that is needed.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 12:00

The model name is always crucial and also the windows version. Since this is an old model it is not cost effective to try and fix these major issues--batteries cost well over $100 and new adapters almost as much if you can find them but the power jack is the most expensive since the board needs to be replaced which is definitely not practical. Consider buying a new laptop.

accessories.dell.com/.../category.aspx

May 24th, 2017 07:00

In most cases the cause of  the adapter warning message is because of broken adapter cable or a faulty power jack which often lead to intermittent problems. Please check the cable have any issues?

No Events found!