Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 26th, 2009 08:00

Laptop charger doesn't charge

I'm not sure if this is in the correct form, but I do require some help.  My charger has stoped working with my computer.  Every time I plug it in I get a pop up message about how the charger isn't recognized, however it worked before, and it's the same one that Dell sent with the computer.  So my charger no longer charges my laptop, it only powers it when it is pluged in to the wall.  I went to BestBuy to try and get a replacement, but they informed me that the Dell chargers there do the same thing, they don't CHARGE the laptop.  

Is there anyway I can just get a replacement?  Can anyone explain to me why the charger has stoped working? 

2.8K Posts

August 26th, 2009 09:00

sward7,
Please re-post in the Laptop General Hardware forum. You're currently in the desktop forum.

2.8K Posts

August 26th, 2009 15:00

What model is your computer and what version of Windows is installed on it? This is info you should always include when you first post. If the AC adapter will actually still power the system but not charge the battery then there may be a problem with what Dell commonly calls the battery charger board (part of the motherboard). An easy way to determine if that's the case would be to use a known-good AC adapter for the same type of laptop you have (Best Buy might be willing to let you test one out on your computer provided they have one that definitely works properly). If an AC adapter with the same wattage/specs as the one that came with your laptop will work & charges the battery on another laptop that's the same model as yours but won't charge the battery in your system and you still get a message that the adapter isn't recognized then it's definitely the battery charger board.

No Events found!