Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

April 24th, 2006 13:00

Laptop powers on for a few seconds, caps lock light blinks, then system shuts off

Model: Inspiron 5100
Issue: Upon powering on, laptop appears to start up (fan/CD-drive start working, etc...) Display never turns on. Caps lock light blinks for a few seconds, then the system shuts off.

This issue started 2 days ago. I had left my PC on and plugged in, and when I came back to it, the display would not turn on. I manually rebooted, and now everytime I try to power the system on, the above issue occurs. The laptop is old, but I take good care of it, and the system hyad been running fine previous to this issue. I can't even run diagnostics or get into a BIOS screen, as 1) the system only stays on for a few seconds, and 2) the display never turns on.

I have attempted to turn it on with and without the battery in place, and well as with and without the power supply connected. I have also removed and re-seated the RAM.

I will try attaching an external monitor, but like I said, the system only powers on for about 5 seconds.

Sounds like a motherboard issue: I hope not though.

Any ideas?

1 Message

April 24th, 2006 19:00

Hey man, I feel ya' here. I got the same problem with my Inspiron 8000. I have had this happen before to. I just re-seat the HDD and it worked fine for some reason. But now I'm in the same spot, and not a thing works. If you find a solution to this could you do me a big favor and send me a message or post it here. Hope you have better luck then me.

-Chris

8 Posts

April 25th, 2006 13:00

It was the memory. I tried various combinations (I had a 128 stick and a 256 stick) and it ended up that only the 128 stick worked... sO I'm trying the 256 stick in another machine today to see if its just gone bad, but I'm assuming thats what it is. In another system, however, merely taking out the memory and putting it back in worked, so who knows.

4 Posts

April 28th, 2006 17:00

Hi guys,
i have the same problem with my Inspiron 5100.
The same effect - power is on, 2 LEDs are on and it shuts down itself in 5-10 sec.
As soon as the WinXP starts, everything is fine....
I tried to start only on battery, on AC - didn't help.
I tried to reinsert memory - no effect.
It seems that after long break, when it is off, it starts normally....
I don't want to think that it is a motherboard problem, but it seems so...

May 1st, 2008 06:00

I own a Inspiron 600m. And I have the same problem. I reinsert the memory card, both of them, and it starts fine. But I don't think this is the right solution.

My laptop is only 4 years old. I was very happy with Dell but this is my second problem and I don't think my next laptop is going to be a Dell.

I600m

Windows XP, SP2

Any advice is more than welcome.

Cheers.

1.8K Posts

May 1st, 2008 14:00

Blinking lock lights are almost always an indication of memory failure (usually because RAM modules are not seated in their slots securely).  Reseat your memory modules and if that does not solve your problem try each memory module separately in each slot.  That will tell you if one of your modules is bad and can also isolate a bad slot if there is one.

1 Message

July 10th, 2009 11:00

I have the same problem with my XPS M140, did you ever fiqure out what was wrong with yours? THANKS ahead of time.

2 Posts

July 31st, 2009 18:00

I wish I had read this forum before dropping my Inspiron E1705 off at the local computer shop.  I'm having the same problem as everyone else.  I'll post whatever information I find out from them.

1 Message

February 1st, 2010 16:00

Balaji was right for my Inspiron 600m.  I upgraded my memory to 2GB, and encountered the same problem, after reading the posting, I reseated the 2 memory modules.  It worked as you said.  Thank you !!

1 Message

June 29th, 2010 09:00

Hey guys by reseating the memory in my D510 helped me out a great deal.  I then downloaded an ISO disc from dell to run diagnostics and it runs great.

1 Message

June 29th, 2010 19:00

Hello there,

I have the same start-up problem with an Inspiron E1705 with 2 Gig of memory. I have tried all of the recommendations mentioned before but none has worked for me. Has anyone else that had this same problem found a new solution???   Re-sitting the memory, removing and re-installing the HDD did nothing for me either. 

Any advice?  

1 Message

August 13th, 2010 06:00

Model: Inspiron 5100
Issue: Upon powering on, laptop appears to start up (fan/CD-drive start working, etc...) Display never turns on. Caps lock light blinks for a few seconds, then the system shuts off.

This issue started 2 days ago. I had left my PC on and plugged in, and when I came back to it, the display would not turn on. I manually rebooted, and now everytime I try to power the system on, the above issue occurs. The laptop is old, but I take good care of it, and the system hyad been running fine previous to this issue. I can't even run diagnostics or get into a BIOS screen, as 1) the system only stays on for a few seconds, and 2) the display never turns on.

I have attempted to turn it on with and without the battery in place, and well as with and without the power supply connected. I have also removed and re-seated the RAM.

I will try attaching an external monitor, but like I said, the system only powers on for about 5 seconds.

Sounds like a motherboard issue: I hope not though.

Any ideas?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 13th, 2010 11:00

Try the memory modules one at a time in each socket -- to rule out a  bad module or memory socket.  If neither module works in either socket it most likely is the system board.

No Events found!