Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 2nd, 2013 16:00

Latitude D430 won't boot

Hi,

I have a small Latitude D430 laptop that I've had for a while and now it won't boot.  The power light comes on for about 3-4 seconds then turns off.

I've tried:

• Taking out the battery and running it off of AC.  Didn't work.
  • Running off the battery by itself.  Didn't work.
  • Taking out the battery and AC charger, holding the power button for about a minute, then plugging in the AC charger and powering it on.  Didn't work.
  • Tried different RAM.  Didn't work.
(When I say it "didn't work", I mean that it gives the same outcome as I said earlier)
The laptop is not under warranty any more.
Here's why/when I think it happened.  I was working on battery and decided to start installing a program I needed to install.  I started it, then put the computer to sleep.  I forgot to plug it in until after it had, supposedly, run out of battery.  I tried turning it on and nothing happened (except for the power light turning on for a short time).  I say "supposedly, because when I press the battery indicator button on it, it shows 5 out of 5 LEDs.
ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

3.1K Posts

July 4th, 2013 14:00

Hi jojoguy10,

I understand your concern. If the system does not respond after the steps performed, it indicates a possible hardware failure and the motherboard might have to be replaced.

3.1K Posts

Hi jojoguy10,

I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu. Also observe if the system shuts down.

Also, check in BIOS if the computer shuts down:

• Power off the computer.
  • Restart the computer, tap F2 on the Dell logo.
  • Once you are on the BIOS screen, please wait for few (30-45) minutes and check if the computer shuts down.

I would also suggest you to check the computer in safe mode if you experience the same issue. Power off the computer -> Restart the computer, tap F8 on Dell logo 2-3 times -> This will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options’ -> Choose ‘Safe Mode’ in the Advanced Boot menu (use ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow keys to highlight the option, press ‘enter’ to select) -> When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, check if the computer is working fine.

Please share the findings.

5 Posts

The problem is, The computer won't start to run the diagnostics or see POST, much less the BIOS or safe mode.

Thanks for the response!

3.1K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 15:00

Hi jojoguy10,

Is there a light on the AC Adapter? 

Please check if the light on the AC Adapter remains ON or goes OFF when connected to the system.

If the system does not respond and just shuts down, then the issue could be with the motherboard and may have to be replaced.

5 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 16:00

There is a light on the adapter (the "brick") and it stays on when I plug it in.

I hope not :-/  This laptop has never done anything like this before.  It would be really weird if that's the case.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 5th, 2013 07:00

The boards are inexpensive.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

5 Posts

July 5th, 2013 07:00

Darn.....OK, thanks so much for the help! :-)

5 Posts

July 5th, 2013 08:00

Ya, I figured that.  That's not even including having a computer shop doing it for you (I'm not nearly capable of replacing a laptop motherboard.)

No Events found!