Highlighted
KajunLady2
Copper

Latitude D510 no audio driver after update to Windows 7

Jump to solution

I installed a  Windows 7 update and now there is no audio. I went to Dell.com download center and downloaded sigmatel audio driver for my model but not all files unzipped. Error code 40.

Please help!! Tried more than once.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jim Coates
Diamond

Re: Latitude D510 no audio driver after update to Windows 7

Jump to solution

Download the Sigmatel R99254 driver. Unpack it but cancel the installation process.
It will unpack the files and store them in a folder on the hard drive at c:\Dell\drivers\R99254, and that folder will have a subfolder named WDM.

Open Device Manager and expand System devices near the bottom. Find the PCI Device entry with a ? next to it (or if that is not there then look for "Multimedia Audio Controller") . Go to the properties and choose to update the driver. Choose to manually find the driver and don't let Windows look for it. Browse to c:\Dell\drivers\R99254\WDM

Reboot and it should detect some new hardware and one of them should be the Sigmatel.

Jim Coates -- 14th year on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

Jump to solution

IM NOT GAY BUT I LOVE YOU THAN YOU SO SO MUCH

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Jump to solution

You're welcome, I think.

macromediax
Copper

Jump to solution

Driver link is broken . here's  a new link:

ftp.dell.com/.../R99254.EXE

and thanks for the answer. it works.

0 Kudos
praiz
Copper

Jump to solution

changed from xp to windows 7 on latitude D510 and lost sound. what can i do? thnx.

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

Jump to solution
if you go to Microsoft update catalog http://catalog.updat...arch.aspx?q=idt enter in Sigmatel you'll find a list of drivers to chose from.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Jump to solution

changed from xp to windows 7 on latitude D510 and lost sound. what can i do?

Sorry for the late reply -- I did not not see your question last week when you posted.

The problem arises because Windows 7 does not have a native audio driver for AC97 audio (AC97 is the out-dated type of audio hardware that is on the motherboard of the Latitude D510). As a result, you have to manually install a Sigmatel audio driver, but because the Sigmatel company went out of business before Win7 came out there is not a Sigmatel driver explicitly for 7. The following instructions should allow you to install a Sigmatel AC97 driver into 7:

Download the Sigmatel R99254 driver. Unpack (unzip) it to but cancel the installation process.
The files should  unpack to a folder on the hard drive at c:\Dell\drivers\R99254, and that folder will have a subfolder named WDM.

Open Device Manager and expand System devices near the bottom. Find the PCI Device entry with a ? next to it (or if that is not there then look for "Multimedia Audio Controller") . Right click on the name and select "Properties", then choose to update the driver. Choose to manually find the driver and don't let Windows look for it. Browse to c:\Dell\drivers\R99254\WDM.

When you restart the laptop Windows will detect some new hardware and one of them will be the Sigmatel.

Jim Coates
Diamond

Jump to solution

go to Microsoft update catalog....enter in Sigmatel you'll find a list of drivers to chose from.

I found a list of about 2 dozens downloads there and selected the one that seemed closest to the Sigmatel R99254 driver. When I downloaded it all I got was a small (254 kb) cabinet file -- no .exe or setup file. So I see 2 problems for the average person who just needs to download a driver:

1. You can't tell which of the 2 dozen downloads is the right one for a particular model, and

2. There is no obvious way to install it.

For most folks it is probably better to just get the normal Sigmatel drivers from Dell . Note that the Sigmatel R99254 is the correct audio driver for 15 old Dell laptop models that have AC97 audio, but there are 23 other old models that use a different Sigmatel driver, the R90698. See section 9 of  the Laptop Audio Driver FAQ for a complete list of which models go with each driver, and links to the drivers.

aace7
Copper

RE: Latitude D510 no audio driver after update to Windows 7

Jump to solution

Thanks man Jimco

It has worked for on win7 32bit

God bless you

0 Kudos