Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

June 13th, 2007 02:00

Latitude D620 Keyboard/Mouse Not Working

Recently I installed MS Intellitype/point drivers on my Latitude D620 to support my external keyboard. Since then, my built-in keyboard and trackpad don't won't. I've subsequently uninstalled the Intellitype/point drivers to try to recover, however no luck. The both work outside of windows during "SafeBoot" authentication, however they're not working in Windows.

I see this error in the Device Manager for both the Generic Keyboard and Alps Touch Pad:

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I've tried uninstalling, deleting, etc, but none of which work. It does work, infalliably, however, with external keyboard and mouse.

2.2K Posts

June 13th, 2007 02:00

You should uninstall MS Intellitype/point drivers, remove the generic keyboard from device manager. Reboot and install the Alps Touch Pad drivers. Might want to d/l them first from the Dell site here:

Message Edited by dbramlet on 06-12-2007 10:30 PM

2 Posts

June 13th, 2007 03:00

GOT IT! WUWU!

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.hardware/browse_frm/thread/e24d4475bb2ca8bb/6ed477eda15cd71d?lnk=st&q=%22a+driver+(service)+for+this+device+has+been+disabled%22&rnum=17&hl=en#6ed477eda15cd71d

Esentially what happened was that the i8042prt was set to disabled. I needed to modify the registry key to force it to be automatically started on boot.

Turned the 4 to a 1 and rebooted and voila!

Thanks for the help and I hope this helps others!
No Events found!