Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

222 Posts

July 27th, 2007 13:00

Latitude D620 - Very low volume

Here in the office we have 5 Latitude D620s. I have one system that you can barely hear anything over the internal speaker. I have uninstalled the SigmaTel audio driver and the Intel High definition audio Driver - restarted and then re-installed it the drivers and still with all volume bars set to max, playing back any audio, such as the default music supplied with Windows audio player are barely audible. You have to actually put your ear the the laptop and the hard drive noise is almost louder than the playback.

I have looked at the other laptops and they are all running identical bios, drivers, etc. and the other laptops only have their volumes at 50% and they are quite loud.

In the hardware tests where it plays the tones as a test, I can hear those fine, which leads me to think something in Windows is probably messed up, but what that is I have not found yet.

Any ideas would be helpful, Thanks

Dell Latitude D620
Bios A08
Core Duo T2600 @ 2.16ghz
2048 MB DDR2 667mhz
NVidia Quadro NVS 110M TurboCache
160gb 5400rpm HD
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D DVD+/-RW Combo
SigmaTel C-Major HD Audio
Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit
Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG 802.11a/b/g
TrueMobile 350 Bluetooth
Windows XP Pro SP2

July 29th, 2007 05:00

Hi,
I work as a System Administrator in a company.

I have recently experienced this kind of problem in 2 of our company owned D620 laptops.
We happen to reinstall the Audio Driver, Nothing Happened.
We happen to Re-install Windows 2000, Nothing happened.
As the Laptop was under warrenty, we happen to replace Mother Board, Nothing Happened.

We are in line with replacing the Internal Speaker assambly of D620,
Lets hope this works out... as we have nothing remained to change after this...

Will post the update once this troubleshoot works out....

1 Message

July 30th, 2007 10:00

I have the exact same problem on my Latitude D620, now one year old.  I don't think this is software related as the volume and mute buttons work correctly, as do the sliders in Control Panel.  The only problem is that the audio only varies between nothing and barely audible.  The external (headphone) output works correctly by the way.  I also saw this post below which seems to describe the same problem.  It has been viewed over 500 times - I wonder if this means that this is a common problem?
In common with this post, no solution is listed - has anyone found one?

Latitude D620
Core Duo T2400, 1GB
Windows XP Pro 2002 SP2
SigmaTel Audio

July 30th, 2007 10:00

If you are sure that the sound works fine with external speaker,
And the Internal speakers are still feeble after Audio Driver Re-installation.

Try to change the Internal speaker assambly...
I happen to change one with internal speaker assambly, It works fine now.

May be D620 has a generalised problem.
We in our company have 2 cases of this kind.

Thanks
Mansoor

222 Posts

July 30th, 2007 11:00

Thanks for all the replies, I did verify that the volume worked properly via a pair of headphones plugged into the laptop. Dell is sending me a speaker assembly. like some of the other posters, I'll see how this goes.

222 Posts

October 24th, 2007 13:00

That did it. It was the speaker. Boy is that a pain to replace, you have to practicaly remove everthing in the laptop to ger at it.

The speaker was bad as it was basiclly locked up with the cone unable to move. The new speaker works fine and the volume is back to normal.
No Events found!