Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 15th, 2011 21:00

Latitude D630 Battery issue...

Laptop: Dell Latitude D630

I turned on the computer and the orange battery light was flashing like crazy.

I took out the battery and saw the 5 green lights lit up on it. By the way, its been out of the laptop for an hour now and those lights are still on.

If I press the button (even is I hold it for a few seconds), the first, middle and last light will come on and flash for a few seconds before going out and a few seconds later all the lights will be lit again (solid, not flashing).

Oh and once the battery was out the orange flashing stopped on the laptop.

2.2K Posts

June 16th, 2011 00:00

I am guessing that machine is a couple years old or more, so if you have not replaced the battery, it is letting you know it needs to be done.

The flashing orange is generally indicative of a bad battery.

2.2K Posts

June 16th, 2011 10:00

You mentioned that the orange flashing stopped when you removed the battery. Does it re appear when you put the battery back in?

If it does NOT flash orange anymore, it is possible the battery was too hot to charge, as that will trigger an orange flash.

If it still DOES flash orange quickly, the battery will need to be replaced.

Either way, that battery light gives a battery message for you.

3 Posts

June 16th, 2011 08:00

The laptop and battery are about 3 years old. But just 2 days ago I could get 45 minutes in battery life and then nothing. 

And 12 hours later all 5 green lights on the battery are still lit up since last night. 

3 Posts

June 16th, 2011 13:00

Yes, when I put the battery back in it flashes rapidly again. 

I'm just surprised it needs to be replaced though. It was working great just a few hours before with plenty of life left in it! But when I got home I got a fuly charged battery thats not working.

I tested the battery in diagnostics and it passed 2 of the 4 tests. It passed the Battery communication test (99% charge) and it passed the AC adapter information test. The other 2 tests, I got these error codes:

3600:0123    The charger should be disconnected

(I didn't take the adapter out because the computer will crash)

3600:0852    Primary_Battery_Bay-A permanent failure was detected

I guess my question is more, if the battery needs to be replaced, why did it die so suddenly when it was working so great?

2.2K Posts

June 17th, 2011 00:00

I guess my question is more, if the battery needs to be replaced, why did it die so suddenly when it was working so great?

Hi,

I cannot answer that other than to say to think about a car battery. They can be working fine and then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, they may die.

Really, three years is pretty good life for batteries in this machine. We had a couple D630's here (now dead due to nVidia issue). Neither of their original  batteries lasted three years.

For replacement, you can

1.) Go through Dell.

2.) You could buy a genuine Dell from a third party seller

3.) You could get a compatible battery from a third party seller

Direct from Dell is the least risky, with the last option being the most risky. Of course, as the risk goes up, the cost tends to drop....

3.8K Posts

June 18th, 2011 08:00

Hi Ambgirl97,

If your looking to purchase your battery from Dell, use the below link for help.

lt.dell.com/.../lt.aspx

Thank you

Royan

April 24th, 2014 03:00

me too had the same problem!!!!

now my battery is working great 
use the method which i applied 
http://www.wikihow.com/Revive-a-Dead-Laptop-Battery

No Events found!