Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2013 07:00

Latitude D630 - Blank screen (but backlight on)

Looking for a second opinion on a fault with my laptop.

When I switch it on, all I get is a blank screen with the backlight on. The HDD, Bluetooth and Caps Lock lights all come on and the I can hear the CD/DVD powering on and the fan spinning but nothing happens. I get nothing onscreen as if its not posting/booting.

I have tried powering the laptop on with the battery, HDD and memory DIMMs removed but made no difference. I have also reseated those components as well as the display cable but that made no difference.

If I power on the laptop while holding down the "D" key, the screen turns various colours so I believe the screen/inverter isn't at fault.

I think this fault points towards the system board being at fault? Does anyone else think this?

One thing I recall is that before I turned it off, the laptop froze briefly and the display had faint thick pink lines going down it? Is that relevant?

Any guidance is much appreciated!

• 

3.3K Posts

January 1st, 2013 09:00

Hi iLap,

I request you to connect an external monitor and check if there is display on it.

I also recommend you to shut the system down and press and hold the ‘Fn’ key on the keyboard and press the power button.  This will launch Diagnostics on the system, Please reply to this post with the status to assist you further.  

3 Posts

January 1st, 2013 09:00

Hi Sujatha,

I have tried an external monitor but it doesn't receive any input. I believe the laptop would need to post and then boot before the external monitor would receive any input? I don't think the laptop is getting past the posting stage?

I have pressed and held down the "FN" key and powered the laptop on. Firstly, all three status lights flash three times and then the middle light (A) keeps flashing while the other two lights stay off. What does this error light sequence mean?

Thanks.

• 

3.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi iLap,

I request you to check once again for the LED indicators if they follow any of the patterns given in the below list. As mentioned in the post that ‘Caps Lock’ key is flashing while the ‘Num Lock’ and ‘Scroll lock’ is off does not indicate any faulty part. Please reply for further assistance. 

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Sujatha,

The LED indicators do not match any of those patterns? However, I have had all 3 LED's flashing.

When I hold down the "FN" button and power the laptop on, all three LED's flash to begin with before it changes to only the "Caps Lock" key flashing.

Based on the fact that I've tested the other components (HDD, Memory and Display). I believe the fault must lie with the system board?

After doing some online research, I believe that this is a common fault caused by the Nvidia chip on the system board?

Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 11:00

Hi iLap,

Thank you for all the trouble shooting steps tried. This looks like a motherboard failure.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 13th, 2013 06:00

Is there an image on an external monitor?

3 Posts

June 13th, 2013 06:00

I am also having the same issue.  Back light comes on with no picture.  I ran the diagnostics (Hold the "Fn" Key when powering up)  and I replaced the memory cards  cards and this did not resolve the issue based on the code.  This did not resolve the issue..   Is there anything else that I should try to resolve the issue?

3 Posts

June 13th, 2013 07:00

No,  That screen is also blank..

3 Posts

June 13th, 2013 07:00

The original Diagnostics indicated NO RAM. I replaced these memory cards and I am still receiving the same error code.

Is it possible that these Memory Ram Cards were faulty? Is that common?

1.3K Posts

June 27th, 2013 15:00

Hi mbart01,

The RAM's might not be faulty here. Try single RAM on each of the slot on the motherboard separately. Also clean the RAM and the RAM slots on the motherboard.

2.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 15:00

Mohsen,

Try replacing the inverter.

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 15:00

Hi,

I also have a D630 that is a few years old now, and am experiencing the same issue.  Machine boots up, but screen is blank with only backlight on.  I did connect to the external monitor and I do get a normal working experience, so output to the VGA port seems fine and Windows boots up and everything is working fine.  

So, I thought that it must be an issue with the LCD screen.  I ordered a replacement screen from Dell, placed it into the machine, and still same thing, i.e. nothing on the LCD monitor but the backlight.  Am I experiencing an issue with the replaced screen part or could it be something else that is at fault on the motherboard?

One question, is the VGA output to an external monitor circuit completely different than the output to the internal monitor?  Since I am getting good video on the external port, does that mean the onboard graphics module is ok?

Thanks,

Mohsen

4 Posts

July 24th, 2013 05:00

I can try that, but that implies the replacement screen was also bad then....???

May 19th, 2014 21:00

Hi I had the same problem, but when I held fn down and the power button it started to flash the number, cap, and scroll lock at once and then just the cap lock. But after about a minute or to it sounded like it was a system boot up, and then an loud set of beeps went of. The screen flashed white n blue. And then red. I'm not sure what to do. When I took it in about a year ago the best busy computer geeks wasn't sure what to do. I am now following you advice since I need my laptop for school. What do I do now?

May 19th, 2014 21:00

It also showed me the test running page and then the screen slowly glitches until it went black. Then it made the loud beeping noises. And the cap locks kept flashing is there any advice on this?

No Events found!