Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2013 08:00

Latitude D630 Keyboard not working

Hi

I reinstalled Windows XP (SP3)  in my Latitude D630 laptop. After the installation I found that 6-7 keys are not working. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling keyboard drivers. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

2.6K Posts

March 11th, 2013 09:00

Hello MaitraS,

There are couple of steps I would suggest that might help us in resolving the issue:

1. Check in Safe Mode if the keys are working fine.
-- Restart the computer.
-- Keep tapping F8 key on the Dell logo Screen.
-- The computer goes to Advanced boot Options.
-- Select Safe Mode.
-- Press Enter.
Check in safe mode if the keys are working fine. Being in safe mode, follow the step 2.

2. Check in Command Prompt.
-- Click Start.
-- In Search program and files tab type in cmd.
-- Press Enter.
-- Check in the Window if the keys are working fine.

Please try the steps and write back with results, would be glad to assist you further. 

3 Posts

March 11th, 2013 16:00

Hi Allan,

Thanks for your suggestions. I started the computer in the safe mode (step 1). The keys are not working in the safe mode or in the command prompt (step 2).

Regards,

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 11th, 2013 19:00

Could be a loose connection between the laptop keyboard and the mainboard. Have you tried reseating it? Also does a USB keyboard work correctly?

3 Posts

March 11th, 2013 21:00

A USB keyboard works alright. I have not tried reseating the keyboard yet.

1 Message

October 10th, 2013 19:00

October 10, 2013

Dell-Allan D:

Working with a refurb Dell Latitude D630 belonging to a friend.  Cannot type the vowels 'e,' 'i,' 'o,' or 'u,' and maybe some consonants as well.  As result, in safe mode, where I need a command, i can't type it to determine whether the keys work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Thunder Finder  thunderfinder@gmail.com

No Events found!