Highlighted
cquatraro
Bronze

Latitude D830, no sound card installed

Jump to solution

I purchased a Latitude D830 at a surplus sale from a community collage. It did not come with a sound card. Has anyone installed a sound card on this kind of laptop before? What kind of card does it need? Is it something a novice can install?

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Jim Coates
Diamond

RE: Latitude D830, no sound card installed

Jump to solution

It did not come with a sound card.

Hello. All of the Dell laptops come with a sound chip. It is not a sound "card" but an audio chip that is integrated onto the motherboard of the laptop.The chip is similar to those that would be in a sound card, so it amounts to the same thing.

The chip in the D830 was a Sigmatel HD chip. Sigmatel was the name of the manufacturing company, now defunct, and HD means "high definition", which describes the era of the chip.

You cannot install an audio chip, but If the original chip has not become defective I can help you to get it working. I need to know which operating system is on the laptop before going any further.

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
cquatraro
Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks, Jim. I am using Windows XP, SP2.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Jump to solution

If the hard drive was wiped and then XP re-installed, then it is just a matter of installing the drivers in the correct order. In the Dell laptops with XP and Sigmatel it was imperative that the correct order be followed for the audio to work. Here are the links.

a. Dell Notebook System Software . Download, install and restart.

b. Intel Mobile Chipset software. Download, install and restart.

c. Sigmatel R171789 audio driver. Download, install and restart.

If there is still no audio at this point then the chip might be defective. Let me know and we can explore further.

0 Kudos
cquatraro
Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks again. The hard drive was wiped and I installed the Windows XP. Currently, the Dell Laptop is not connected to the internet so I will have to download the drivers, save them on my HP desktop computer and then transfer them to a flash drive for installation to my Dell laptop. I'll install the Dell software first (and re-start), then the Intel software (and re-start) and finally the Sigmatel software (and then restart). Into what program should I load these drivers?

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Jump to solution

Into what program should I load these drivers?

You don't install the drivers into a program. The links go to the drivers' pages, which contain detailed information about each driver, a link for downloading the driver, and installation instructions.

To see the instructions for a given driver, click on the link to get to its page, then scroll down the page to "Installation Instructions" and click that. There are 3 steps to the installation: download, extract, and install.

The first part of the instructions just describe the normal things one would do to download a file to the desktop. In your case you would download to the flash drive as you said.

The 2nd part of the instructions describe the rest of the process. The driver files are compressed, so first you extract the files (unzip) to a folder on your hard drive. There is an extraction wizard that guides you through the process and suggests which folder to use. The wizard creates the folder so you don't have to do that. Never use a different folder than the one that the wizard suggests.

The driver files contain an installer to finish the installation. Some of the installers run automatically, but if not the instructions explain how to make the installer run. There might be some on-screen instructions at this point.

When you have the flash drive attached to the D830, if you try to extract the files while still on the drive and run into problems, move the files to the desktop of the D830 and extract them from there. I don't really know if you can extract them while still on the flash drive. Never tried doing that.

Besides the drivers needed to make the audio work, there are other drivers that ought to be installed. I'll give you links to the rest of the drivers later if you want.

0 Kudos
cquatraro
Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the help. Maybe I better try getting the Windows Explorer working on the D830 rather than trying to save them to a flash drive.  My Windows XP is SP2; is there any reason I need to get SP3 before I install these drivers?

Once I get the audio working, I'll take you up on your offer for the other drivers. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Jump to solution

Maybe I better try getting the Windows Explorer working on the D830 rather than trying to save them to a flash drive.

It's okay to download them to a flash drive. If you drag them from the flash drive to the desktop (or copy & paste) it be exactly the same as if you had downloaded them to the desktop. Sorry if my earlier explanation caused confusion about that.

The drivers are fully compatible with XP SP2.

0 Kudos
cquatraro
Bronze

Jump to solution

I saved the drivers to my flash drive and imported them to the D830. I started with R181864, the one you want me to start with. I got a message that said "the language of your operating system does not match the supported languages of this software release. Please try the release that corresponds to your Operating System language". On top of the box, it says Version A30. There are 15 languages, none of which are English.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
Diamond

Jump to solution

There are 15 languages, none of which are English.

I just downloaded it and looked at it and see what you mean. The next also was not for English, but the 3rd one is.

Notebook System Software R181862

It didn't occur to me to check beforehand because they normally include English.

0 Kudos