Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 24th, 2013 19:00

Latitude E6220 - No backlight option in BIOS ( A11 ) Backlit keyboard not working.

Hello All,

Im hoping someone can help as I am ready to pull my hair out on this one :) So I purchased an E6220 sometime ago without a backlit keyboard.

It was an option when I bought my laptop but never got it. So fast fwd 1.5 years I went ahead and purchased the keyboard.

• Laptop Service Tag -
  • Bios A11
  • New Backlit Keyboard Part # 24P9J
Is that ORANGE cable suppose to connect to something on the far end?
I attach the only cable there is to attach ( in the past when installing backlit keyboards I would think there is a second cable )
on this model there does not appear to be. So I attach the cable put everything back together and nothing..
Try hitting FN Left Arrow ( backlight logo ) nothing.
I called Dell to make sure without a doubt my laptop supports this which they confirm it does just like I was already pretty sure of.
I cannot get this to work for the life of me and have searched all over with no luck, What I find odd is I have no option in the
BIOS for this  like I see on some models below :
Any help would be greatly apreciated.
DG

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2013 20:00

DG,

From my past experience, the little copper wire should attach the a place on the computer, I remember it was very hard to attach, I connected the copper wire brfore attaching the keyboard wire.

Unless the cooper wire is attached where I have the red arrow.

Rick

5 Posts

Hey Rick,

Dude are the best man!!! Wierdest thing ( bought keyboard used ) in your pic where the copper wire attaches to the board towards the top there was an issue. I removed the keyboard and compared it to my non backlit.

That board on the non backlit had a socket up top like in your picture ( RED ARROW ) well what do you know on my back lit the socket is ripped of and the orange ribbon was just tucked under the board.

I swapped boards with my non backlit model and BOOOOOOOOM WE HAVE LIGHT.

Thanks so much man after tripple checking the board on my back lit keyboard was broken.

Everything is working.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

DG,

Look at this video, around 1:15 carefully watch to see the two cables are unplugged. The orange(copper) cable has to be attached to the motherboard to work the backlit settings.

NOTE, this is a different model but give an example on how to attach the keyboard cable and the backlit cable.

Rick

5 Posts

Thats just it, This keyboard doesnt appear to have a 2nd cable to attach, Thats what I would expect. None of the backlit upgrades I see online for this laptop model appear to have a second cable or spot. Im searching all over the web.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

DG,

I have replaced the backlit keyboard and if the system can have a backlit keyboard, there should be a place to connect the copper wire.

Looking at the Dell Latitude E6220 Owner's manual, on page 43, it explains on how to remove the keyboard. If I zoom in on page 44, I don't see a place to plug it the backlit wire.

Rick

5 Posts

Were all set now its working perfect, I did just join the forum because I figured what better place to ask then Dells official forum. But the support and response was great and I couldn't leave you hanging after helping me!!! Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

DG,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. I was wondering if your system may not have the place for the cooper wire, meaning that your model may not have that option.

In the Windows Mobility Center, there are settings, Click on the little square in the backlit keyboard section and you can control how long the backlit keyboard stays on.

Rick

5 Posts

This is def a weird one, Even on dells page it says its an option.. www.dell.com/.../pd

Like you said there is just no cable to plug in.. No spot on MB or cable it looks like the LED backlit cable plugs into the circuit board and then that circuit board utilizes the main connection cable.

That amber cable is just like a Loop prob just the LEDS theres no connector on it besides where it plugs into the circuit board.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

DG,

Without knowing your operating system...

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time. If Windows 8, Mobility Center

Do you see any settings for a backlit keyboard?

Rick

No Events found!