Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2011 16:00

Latitude E6500 won't boot; flashing Numlock

Starting last night, my Latitude E6500 will not boot.  On pressing the button, the CPU light sometimes blinks for just an instant, but never for long.  After that, I hear the fan running for a few seconds while the power light remains on, but nothing is on the screen whatsoever.  Then, the fan stops, the power light goes off, and I am left with solid Caps and Scroll lock lights and a flashing Numlock light.  This lasts for about 30 seconds or so, and then also goes off, leaving the computer completely off.  I was able to successfully charge the computer (it had a half charge when this started), and it now has a full charge.  What could be wrong?  Thank you.

21 Posts

June 30th, 2011 22:00

Maybe battery is no good.  Have you tried to use this computer using AC adapter?  Otherwise sounds like a hardware defect.  You could try re-seating the memory:

en.community.dell.com/.../19227039.aspx

But that's all I know.

4 Posts

July 16th, 2011 08:00

I have the same problem.  It is intermittent - sometimes this will go on for many minutes and sometimes briefly.  Eventually, one of the times I hit the power button, it starts.  Any solutions?

4 Posts

March 26th, 2012 05:00

I have got your same problem.

I read somewhere that the problem is the cpu not detected.

So I think the problem is the mb.

I contact dell the ask me about 600€ for mb change, I expired warranty few months ago.

So I think will buy a new laptop soon.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2014 03:00

On pressing the button, the CPU light sometimes blinks for just an instant, but never for long.  After that, I hear the fan running for a few seconds while the power light remains on, but nothing is on the screen whatsoever.  Then, the fan stops, the power light goes off.

please help me

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 05:00

I'm very sorry for your latitute. For mine the problem was the motherboard. I have the laptop already here in office, waiting for dismiss, because I was out of warranty, and Dell asked me too much to repair it. So I bought another laptop.

1 Message

August 30th, 2014 11:00

I have the same problem -- but only if I turn off and try to turn back on. I can keep tring and it might work, or I just let it sit (and presumably cool down) for several hours and it works fine. I think it is a problem with temperature sensing maybe? This has been happening for a couple years.Since I only use at home, and rarely need to power down and back up, it's not too big a problem for me, but sure would like to solve it!

No Events found!