Latitude E6510 text cursor jumps randomly

Jump to solution

I received a Dell Latitude E6510, Windows 7, Bought January 2011

Problem: My text cursor jumps randomly around when I'm typing

I take care where i put my fingers: no result
I have the last drivers DELL_MULTI-TOUCH-TOUCHPAD_A06_R281462.exe
I deactivated the touchpad: no result

I have 2 other Dell (Inspiron and Precision M65): This problem never occurred

The question appears hundreds of times on the Internet. However no answer is helpful.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Cavaliers88
Copper

Re: Latitude E6510 text cursor jumps randomly

Jump to solution

My cursor was doing the same.  I finally realized it was the pointing stick (the little button above the "B" key), which I must have been brushing with my fingers.  I turned it off through by following control panel/mouse/dell touchpad/device select/pointing stick/disable.  No more jumping cursor!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer. I also had the idea to disable the pointing stick. It was not the solution. And even disabled the pointing stick remains sensitive.

I even tried to disable everything in the Dell Pad "C:\Program Files\DellTPad\DellTPad.exe" - except mouse - my cursor is always jumping. It is a big problem when filling databases or cells with formulas and numbers!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I was having the same problem too. Its related to the little mouse  thing called the POINTING STICK. This ''pointing stick' is located between the G H and B keys. Maybe trying typing or doing some work and see which letters you were typing when this JUMP occurs.  You can disable the POINTING STICK by going into the control panel and clicking on the MOUSE option. This should launch a window called MOUSE properties, on the DELL TouchPad tab double click the image and on the next page, don't click the POINTING STICK settings.  The option to disable the POINTING STICK is actually in the DEVICE SELECT it is in there. Click the DEVICE SELECT to do this.

I still have problems with the cursor jumping all over the place but it is greatly reduced now.

I believe part of the cursor jumping is related to the touchpad functionality.  Any touch of it while typing cause the typing to switch to where the cursor/pointer was. The only real option to eliminate this is to... disable the touch pad when you have a USB mouse plugged in.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
davezyx
Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same problem ... I've known the answer for years on previous Dell's, which is to disable "tapping" on the pointer stick. I don't want to disable the pointer stick altogether because I use it regularly.

However, now I have a new Dell E6520. I change the settings to disable the tapping for both the pointer stick and touch pad. The touch pad setting is working fine. But the pointer stick one isn't!  Despite tapping being disabled, I could STILL tap the pointer stick to click ... and thus end up with all the problems listed above.

Any suggestions on how to truly disable it (e.g. maybe a registry setting?) would be helpful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
captcaper
Silver

Jump to solution

I have a touch pad problem as well as one like yours. The curser will jump around some and also when I tap or double tap it to type it won't work. I have to hit the left clicker keys to get it to work. Then I can use the touch pad again. This happens quite often no matter how I set the touch controls or install a new driver.

I think there is bugs in this software and needs to be addressed. Also the scroll feature is very unstabil and doesn't respond and work as well as any of my C640's.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello

I had already tried this known solution:
http://delphintipz.blogspot.com/2010/11/dell-latitude-e6510-cursor-jumps-while.html
However when rebooting, the change was cancelled
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Laptops_Notebooks/PC_Laptops/Q_26691108.html

At last I have deleted the Dell TouchPad file:
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\DellTPad.exe
And reinstalled it.
After reinstall I disabled Touchpad and PointingStick
"My" problem is solved

Pierre

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I had already tried this known solution:

delphintipz.blogspot.com/.../dell-latitude-e6510-cursor-jumps-while.html

However when rebooting, the change was cancelled

www.experts-exchange.com/.../Q_26691108.html

At last I have deleted the Dell TouchPad file:

C:\Program Files\DellTPad\DellTPad.exe

And reinstalled it.

After reinstall I disabled Touchpad and PointingStick

"My" problem is solved

0 Kudos
davezyx
Copper

Jump to solution

That solution is to disable the pointing stick. That is NOT an acceptable solution, because I use the pointing stick all the time.

And disabling ONLY the 'tapping' which is the way it SHOULD be fixed, is NOT working. Still seems like a driver error in that a desired setting is not correctly implemented.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello,

I told you "my" solution. I am simply an end user.
Best answers should come from Dell or Windows. But they are like God: they never answer, and ignore people who are in a jam.

Good luck.

0 Kudos