Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2012 03:00

Latitude E6530 graphics card problem

I have a Latitude E6530 with NVS 5200M. It connect to a Samsung SA850 27" monitor through the hdmi port (with a hdmi to dvi adapter). The monitor supports 2560x1440 but the 5200m card can only set the resolution to 1920x1080. In windows 8, all text on the 27" monitor looks a bit blurry. Is there anyway to set the resolution to 2560x1440 on the monitor?

Btw, NVS 5200M should have a mini display port. But i can find it on the laptop. Anyone knows where it is?

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

October 29th, 2012 04:00

Hi there,

There is no way to upgrade the graphics in the Latitude E6530 as the graphics chipset is embedded into the motherboard and there is no separate slot for an add-in graphics card.

Without a dedicated DisplayPort, there is no way that I can think of to get the native resolution of your monitor. Even if there was an add-on third-party peripheral that connected to another port or the ExpressCard slot, we could not guarantee that this would work with your system. If you connect your monitor via VGA, you should get a higher resolution according to the nVidia page, however this would appear to be as close as you can get with the NVS 5200M chipset.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this occasion but I hope you've found the answers I've given helpful. If there's anything else we can do for you, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

October 26th, 2012 04:00

Hi there,

I've done some investigation for you and it would appear that the system is working as designed. If you look at the following link: www.nvidia.com/.../nvs_techspecs.html - the maximum resolution through HDMI for the NVS 5200M is 1920x1080. You may be able to get a higher resolution through VGA, presuming that your monitor supports that, however this system will not display in your monitor's native resolution.

The NVS 5200M can use the DisplayPort standard, however on this system, there is no DisplayPort connection so you will not be able to connect any DisplayPort devices to the Latitude E6530.

I hope that answers your query but if there's anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to get back in touch.

4 Posts

October 27th, 2012 15:00

Thanks John. Is there anyway to upgrade the graphic card on my E6530? Or get a mini display port added? It is quite annoying that the text is blurry on the large screen.

the laptop is powerful. but the nvs 5200m graphic card is really a bad choice.

4 Posts

October 27th, 2012 15:00

Thanks John. Is there anyway to upgrade the graphic card on my E6530? Or get a mini display port added? It is quite annoying that the text is blurry on the large screen. I have to set the text to 120% to get everything looks a little better.

the laptop is powerful. but the nvs 5200m graphic card is really a bad choice.

2 Posts

November 15th, 2012 09:00

So if I put the E6530 in a docking station (advanced E-Port II), will the display ports and/or DVIs in the dock support the higher resolutions that are mentioned in the NVIDIA tech specs?

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

November 16th, 2012 02:00

Hi there,

The docking station just acts as a passthrough for the video signal so you should be able to get the same resolutions on the docking station as you get off the dock. The Latitude E6530 should give you the same resolutions as listed in the nVidia tech specs.

If you need any assistance, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to help you but in the meantime, thank you very much for using Dell!

1 Message

December 7th, 2012 13:00

I have an HP ZR2740W monitor which requires a 2560 x 1440 Native Resolution. When I connect this monitor to a Lenovo laptop running an NVidia NVS 4200M it works fine but when I connect it to a Dell E6520 through a PRO3X E-Port I get all kind of banding/display issues via DisplayPort. When I attempt to connect via DVI-D, it shows me that the DVI-D connector on the back of the E-Port is a single Link DVI-D not Dual Link.  It appears this has been fixed with the E6530 and its NEW E-Port II (with USB 3.0 and DisplayPort 1.2).

I am purchasing  a Dell E6530 with the Nvidia NVS 5200M and an Intel i7-3520M CPU.  I still have the HP ZR2740W monitor which has the same resolution as the Dell U711.  The NVS 5200M supports resolutions upto 2560 X 1440 through DisplayPort or Dual Link DVI-D connectors.  The laptop does not have these ports BUT the docking stations do. If this laptop is docked to a PRO3X or the new E-Port II dock, which have DisplayPorts then the NVS 5200M should be able to output the signal through the docking station.  Is this correct?

Do you know if the Motherboard on the Laptop/docking station restricts this output because of the docking pin configuration?.   I am using this same card in another laptop (Lenovo) and it drives the resolution without a problem. Just wanted to confirm this before I purchase the E6530.

Thanks for your quick response...

2 Posts

December 11th, 2012 12:00

Hello MrAbbey

I've spent some time on the phone with a dell sales rep to get that same question answered that you have.

The sales rep assured that the DisplayPort signal of the NVS 5200M will be passed through to the DisplayPort connector on the E-Port II dock so that you can use resolutions up to 2560*1600.

Unfortunately I have no information if older docking stations will also support that resolution or if 2560*1600 will be supported via the DVI connectors of any old or new dock.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2013 01:00

I spoke with a Dell support guy now, and he says that because Dell uses the 16:10 ratio and not 16:9, the resolution will not be 2560*1440 but 2560*1600. It will also deliver 1920*1200, and 1680*1050 according to him.

That means I will give up trying to make the HP ZR2740w monitor work with my Latitude E6530 with NVIDIA NVS 5200M, and port replicator EURO Advanced E-Port II.

I need to find something else to use that nice big monitor for, and to make sure the next monitor I buy, can take the resolutions and ratios that Dell provides.

April 6th, 2013 11:00

Hmmm... I am looking at a similar situation and that's why I found myself on this forum.  But I'm not positive I agree with your conclusions about the ratios and the whole 16:10 vs. 16:9 thing.  The reason I say this is that I am currently using my Dell Latitude E6530 with a new EPort replicator (purchased in December/January) and running two external Dell monitors at 1920x1080 which is a 16x9 aspect ratio.  I know for a fact it ALSO will do the 16x10 because a week ago I was running a different Dell monitor on this same setup, and that monitor was running 1920x1200 (16x10 aspect ratio).

Just wanted to let you know about that, and I hope this information is helpful.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2013 02:00

Thank you. I ended up with 1920*1200 and it works well. The thing to stay away from seems to be 2560*1440. Apparently Dell also sell monitors with this resolution.

5 Posts

May 16th, 2013 01:00

Hi all,

I think the information below might be useful in this context.

Since a month or so I have the following configuration running smoothly:

• Dell E6430  with NVIDIA NVS 5200M (Win 7 Pro 64 bits)
  • Advanced E-Port II docking station
  • TWO monitors Dell UltraSharp U2713HM (27")

I can use both monitor at full resolution 2560 x 1440 but this requires to connect them to the docking station using display port cables (one per monitor, of course).

Now I finally have enough screen real estate! :emotion-5:

1 Message

June 11th, 2013 11:00

Hello All. I rarely write reviews, which I feel bad about as I have benefited from many many reviews.

After my recent experience with Dell, I feel compelled to warn buyers about a very serious design flaw, which I am told is common to all the current latitudes.

There is no bios display on the external monitor when my E6530 is plugged into the laptops VGA port or the docking station's dvi ports. You do not see anything on the external monitor until Windows starts up and loads the nvidia driver. What this means is that, should you set up a bios password for the startup or HDD, the screen to enter it during startup will not show up on the external monitor. The only way to see it is to disable optimus, and use the docking station's vga port or display port. Also, it will not show up if using HDMI either.  Very strange.

Again it will not show up on the external monitor if you are using the laptop vga port or the dvi ports of the docking station. If you have the laptop in the Dell docking station in a Dell monitor stand using the DVI ports you will never see the password screen. So you have to wait and guess when it is ready and then blindly enter the password. If it does not work, or if there is a windows start up problem you will have to pull the laptop off of the docking station and boot it independently to determine the issue. I have never seen a laptop ever have this flaw.

I pursued this through technical support which replaced my mother board twice and then landed me in the Customer Resolution Department. The tech support was very good. In the end I was told this was "working as intended". Since I was past my 30 days to return, there is nothing they could do for me. When I asked if I could get a discount on a monitor that has a display port, I was told they would call my account team. For now, I am relegated to using the old vga technology.

Consider how this limitation will affect you and your business. Security is critical these days. I will be looking into Lenovo or HP systems. I suggest you do the same before buying a latitude from Dell. 

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 08:00

abaruffo,

The screen where deliverd with the displayport cables?

Can you still use the internal screen (internal + 2xDell UltraSharp U2713HM (27"))

Thanks for the info!!!

5 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 08:00

Hi Davyvd,

No the screens didn't come with the cables. I already had one cable and had to buy the second (~7 € here in Italy).

Yes, I can still use the laptop screen, although I usually don't and leave it disabled:

HTH, cheers

No Events found!