Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

9 Posts

November 13th, 2003 10:00

LatitudeCP range. Request for battery reconditioning tool.

Hi Dell,

you may have seen some posts by myself and lots of posts by other people regarding "faulty" Li-Ion Dell Latitude CP batteries. I believe I have proven that the majority of these batteries are not in fact faulty, but the charging circuitry inside them has become confused as to the SoC.

(If your battery has a single flashing light when you press the test button it may not be fault - don't throw it away!!)

This is a request for the development of a re-conditioning tool for the Latitude CP range.

There are already tools for other Latitudes and Inspirons ( see my other posts http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_power&message.id=7491&view=by_date_ascending&page=2)

Surely it wouldn't take too much development time to adapt one of these to the CP range.

The obvious downside of this would be reduced battery sales I suppose !!!!

Please reply one way or the other,

thanks

Colin

p.s. Any forum readers who would also like this tool should give this post a bump.

Message Edited by bigcolinp on 11-13-2003 02:47 PM

3.1K Posts

November 13th, 2003 15:00

bigcolinp,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

In all truth, Dell has moved on to sell the current systems (or D-series computers).  While we continue to support each system that came out, writing such a program for an older system would be going in the wrong direction -- backwards.  I can, however, pass your suggestion on for consideration of this for future systems, if you would like.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2003 12:00

@DELL-BobT wrote:

bigcolinp,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

In all truth, Dell has moved on to sell the current systems (or D-series computers). While we continue to support each system that came out, writing such a program for an older system would be going in the wrong direction -- backwards. I can, however, pass your suggestion on for consideration of this for future systems, if you would like.

Granted, providing new tools for older model laptops woulf be working "backwards", but as the owner of a Dell product I would like to think that the company whose name I trust would at least look into the problem. I purchased a used Dell laptop (Latitude CPi-A 366XT) and am having battery problems like the ones mentioned here. The original battery was dead and a replacement is on the way. I purchased a second battery (hey, 2 bays = 2 batteries = more time away from AC). I have upgraded the BIOS to A15 and have gotten a new/refurb battery froma different providor. The laptop ran off the battery just fine, all the way down to 0%, but will not charge.

I'm disappointed that Dell would not want to provide service for it's 'refurb' users, those of us not able to purchase a brand-new product, but trusting the Dell name and quality-laden history enough to buy a used Dell. Providing BIOS updates for a product, then finding out that the update causes damage is one thing... to ignore that and say "fixing this would be a step in the wrong direction" is another. That may not be what was said, it was what I read and heard.

Please advise what options, if any, exist.

Thank you,

Aaron Angel

2 Posts

November 18th, 2003 04:00

Please add my name to this list, as I seem to be in the same boat.

13 Posts

November 26th, 2003 12:00

Sounds like a big kiss-off to me.

"Let's not focus on the imperfect past.  We need to concentrate on the future."  In short, "Quit whining and buy a new battery!"

This is the same logic politicians use when they have decided not to go after Enron or WorldCom for fraud.

Dell is reading from the corporatist handbook. 

2 Posts

November 27th, 2003 14:00

OK, I've downgraded the BIOS to A10, still not charging the batteries.. appears that the MB may be broken.. am going to call the company I purchased it from to see what can be done.

I'll buy Dell again, but I'm unhappy at the lack of response to this issue. Dell is known for good products and good support. Evidently the support does not go so far as making sure that the older products have non-problematic BIOS updates (IMHO).

Aaron

1 Message

March 13th, 2004 22:00

I ordered a new battery for a CPx H. With it came the Bios CD, which I used. Somehow it installed the wrong BIOS, frying the new battery in the process. Dell behaved well, sending me a new one, but it was a flaw in the update CD that installed version A16 of a BIOS where A14 was the latest for my laptop. The laptop became very hot, as others have also seen.

Frans

2 Posts

December 30th, 2004 22:00

If Dell is going to supply Bios that will cause existing batteries to fail as if they are defective when they are clearly not defective; then I think it is only fair they offer a "fix" for this condition whether that be a recalibration tool or an activation tool.
I have the same problem with my Latitude CPI. Everything seems to be fine with the laptop. The laptop runs off the battery or the charger. The laptop indicates it is charging the battery when it is not. The green lamp comes on for about 30 sec to a minute indicating a charge before it goes off. It does this whenever you boot up, or when you unplug the charger, and then replug the charger.
The battery manual check shows 4 green lamps, solid not blinking. It's obvious to me that there is a software fix that needs to be applied if there was one available.

Thanks, Ken Walker
No Events found!