Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

July 20th, 2008 16:00

M1730 + Vista 64-bit yet possible?

Hello.

Thank you for taking the time to view my request.  I am a new owner of an XPS M1730 and I am interested in upgrading to 64-bit Vista to make full use of my 4gb ram.  I also have a few other questions, if the pros do not mind answering them.

Firstly, I chose the entry level processor to save money.  I plan on upgrading to the Core 2 Extreme very soon.  Since upgrading will require another OS install, i'll be waiting to tackle the 64-bit job untill I get the new Processor. I am not 100% positive If I should wait for a faster Core 2 Extreme to come out.  Are we expecting a new Core 2 Extreme processor that will work with the M1730's in the near future?

Second, I chose the Geforce 8700M's in SLI for my M1730.  I do plan on upgrading to the Geforce 8800M GTXs in the distance future.  I know this will not require a new OS install, plus this is very pricey.  I'll be tackling this job in the distant future.  Can we expect to see any new, faster SLI graphic card solutions in the future for the M1730? Single card solutions?

Now, back to where we started.  Is it now possible to get Vista 64-bit running stable on the M1730?  Do we have a complete list of drivers?  If you could, please, link me a guide, drivers or even personal suggestions on getting Vista 64 running stable on the M1730?

Thanks in advance + I look forward to your responses :smileywink:

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 20th, 2008 16:00

64-bit Vista will work, though you are likely to find it provides less RAM for other purposes than 32-bit Vista, because the kernel and support components are so much larger than they are for the 32-bit version - i.e., you will lose available RAM.

The recently-released Montevina CPUs will not be supported on the M1730 - expect the new high end mobile CPUs to require a 1066 MHz bus, which the 1730 doesn't have an never will.

Although it remains to be seen, the advent of the Montevina/Centrino CPU platform has no doubt marked the M1730's days as numbered - it will have to be replaced, and the rumor mill says that Dell may not do so with another XPS - it seems to be about to offload the high-end notebook market to its Alienware subsidiary.

Translation:  the 8800 SLi is likely the end of the line for the M1730.

BEFORE you install 64-bit Vista, make a list of the drivers you'll need, and visit the websites of the component manufacturers (Broadcom, Intel, nVidia, ADI, etc.) to look for them.

July 20th, 2008 21:00

What about the Core 2 Extreme quad-core QX9770?  Will that work with the M1730?

That's bad news. I was hoping the M1730 was somewhat future proof.  I payed an arm and a leg for this thing. :(

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 20th, 2008 22:00

That's a desktop CPU, not mobile - completely unsupported by the M1730.

July 21st, 2008 01:00

Yes. I found that out shortly after a visit to newegg.  That's too bad.  I guess the highest CPU for the M1730 ends at the Core 2 Extreme Q9000. Thanks for all the responses on the 4gb issue.  I never knew Vista 32-bit recognizes all four gigs.  I guess I'll put my 64-bit project on the back burner untill later. Seems the price on Q9000 has dropped.  I expect the 8800M kits to drop as well.  Probably best to wait it out.

Thanks.

25 Posts

July 21st, 2008 01:00

If being able to use all 4 gigs of RAM is your ONLY motivation, then I see no need to go 64-bit.  Once you use WindowsUpdate to download and install Vista Service Pack 1, you'll notice that the system recognizes all 4 gigs of RAM.  So there's a solution that won't cost you more money :).

4.6K Posts

July 21st, 2008 06:00

@CTCcomputers wrote:

I never knew Vista 32-bit recognizes all four gigs.

Just to confirm:  It doesn't... natively.  It only recognises 4GB after you've upgraded to/installed Vista SP1 ;)

No Events found!