Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

86 Posts

July 28th, 2008 01:00

M1730 + fan control

Does anyone know of a working fan control program for the above? Having issues in Age of Conan (randomly while playing I'll get a BSOD with IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, with the faulting module being nvlddmkm.sys). I can play for hours when I have a deskfan blowing cool air across the bottom of my laptop, but I can get it within half an hour without the fan.

I've made sure all 3 fans do work. When the GPUs approach the 75 degree mark the fans kick in and reduce the temp back below 69 and I know that's well within the safe operating temps, but when running with the deskfan on my temps can be as low as 50 while playing.

I've tried l8kfangui, but it only supports 2 fans so the 3rd fan (on the 2nd GPU) doesn't power on.

Rivatuner appears to have no support for this laptop and SpeedFan can't even detect the fans.

I really want to be able to keep my fans running so I can play with a cooler running PC.

Frustrating when other laptop manufacturers do (Alienware, Sager, Clevo???) but Dell doesn't seem to want to.

108 Posts

July 28th, 2008 09:00

I would personally not like to have my Fans on as they will wear out quickly.

1) maintenance: depending on how dusty the enviroment is around your PC u should be cleaning out your Fans with compressed air every 3 to 6 months.

2) buy a laptop cooling pad with fans, some say fans that blow air up into the laptop is better but others argue the cooling pad fans should draw the air away from the bottom of the laptop. You will need to experiment, also try to align the cooling pads fans with the vents on your laptop.

86 Posts

July 29th, 2008 08:00

Though I agree running the fans all the time may be detremental to their long term health, its probably far cheaper for Dell to replace a failing fan, even a laptop GPU fan, than having to replace the whole MXM module when it fails.

I replaced the fan on my old Alienware 7700 (go6800) and it was actually fairly painless.

Also, my going on 4 year Alienware had a BIOS update that added the fn-F2 key to force the fans on and that worked brilliantly while gaming.

108 Posts

July 29th, 2008 09:00

OK, so why not change the fan yourself? Could save you alot of time and aggrevation as it seems like you know what you doing... :smileyhappy:

EDIT: Question, why did you buy a Dell after Alienware?

Message Edited by sappyjay on 07-29-2008 11:38 AM

86 Posts

July 30th, 2008 04:00

Mainly because after Dell bought Alienware the Aussie/NZ Alienware went under. We don't have Sager or Clevo down here either (mate had to import his Sager), so Dell was pretty much the only choice left lol.
No Events found!