Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2010 04:00

M6500 freezes with black or a full bluescreen

Hi all,

I just got my new m6500 with an ati firepro m7740

When i run the performance test of windows 7 or a 3d benchmark it i get a (full) blue screen or black and my laptop freezes up.

I updated the (to the latest) drivers and updated the bios I even reinstalled windows 7 but still the same thing happens,

The weird thing is that with the diagnostics test(also the extended one) I get no errors? The only events i can find is 2 from ati these are:

Eventid: 52236  CPLIB General invalid Parameter

Eventid: 43029 DAL Display is not active

I mailed dell support but I havent got an answer yet, anyone got a clue what this could be?

Update: Now randomly i get a blackscreen or just a freeze =S Can it be that it is a power or heating problem?

5 Posts

June 5th, 2014 08:00

I solved the black screen problem on the Dell M6500!!! 5/28/2014.

After reading all the Dell support customer forum posts (50 pages) under “M6500 freeze”, the black screen problem appears to be the 230 watt AC adapter is providing a false overheating signal to the video card that causes a video card overheating shut off. This only happens when plugged in, no black outs when on battery power.

A. Plug in AC and charge battery 100%

B. Unplug AC

C. Boot up on battery power only.

Solution: Based on Dell forum info, I Google searched and downloaded NVIDIA power mizer manager software and installed it. Run software. There are three settings.

1. selected medium range,

2. select medium range,

3. Disable overheat power shut off

4. Save and reboot.

No more screen black outs after this fix.

Safe to plug in AC now.

I am running temp monitor software. The video card temps range from 54c to 59c. Video cards are rated to take 100c before overheating.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

1 Message

November 29th, 2014 07:00

Nvidia doesn't seem to be developing or supporting this software anymore.  I found a link through a gaming forum to this download site.  Little concerned about downloading from a site other than the developer.  I used Avast on the download and it didn't detect anything but who knows.

Mediafire Link

1.8K Posts

February 23rd, 2010 10:00

Have you tried the drivers from the ATI site itself?   Others, in different threads, have mentioned that there have been issues with drivers lately and ATI supposedly has some newer drivers in Beta that are helping other people with freezing / locking up.    Some people also mention issues with Flash but that doesn't seem to be the problem on your system from what you list.

144 Posts

June 9th, 2010 04:00

Hi,

Have you tried to disbale the Cyberlink Resident that loads at start-up ? (use msconfig for this).

Several users of M6500 have reported it to cause total freeze of the system.

Problem disapeared as soon as the Cyblerlink resident was no longer loaded

Hope this helps.

Kind Regads,

3 Posts

October 6th, 2010 05:00

1 Message

October 21st, 2014 14:00

Great find! My M6500 is over 4 years old now. I was having the same problem, but had it "fixed" under warranty years ago and it was running great since--still a monster.

Then a month ago I needed a new battery when the old one would not hold a charge. Black screens came back. DRAT!

Saw your post and all became clear. Once my battery was weakened with age, it just wasn't capable of generating the overheating problems.

Thanks for the inspiration!

2 Posts

December 17th, 2014 18:00

FINALLY! 

Thank you. I did this a few weeks ago, and haven't had the machine crash or lockup since.  Prior to this fix it seemed like it was locking up a minimum of a few times a week. Thanks again.

1 Message

March 19th, 2015 13:00

I just tried your solution and I hope it works. I have the same issue on M6500 with Nvidia Quadro FX 3800. The screen goes black at random times and all I can do is hold the power button down and force a shutdown. This is driving me crazy. I had this laptop since 2010 and it never had an issue. I did reinstall the OS and this started happening right after and right when the battery started losing its charge. Here is what I have done so far...

- Upgraded Nvidia drivers, no luck. Went back to original driver and no luck either!
- I replaced the battery with OEM from Amazon - no luck and sometimes the system won't boot unless plugged in although battery is full!

Finally, I tried your solution and will update if this happens again.

Update 03/20/2015 - Hope this helps someone out there! I have finally figured out another solution to this. It all has to do with the Nvidia driver. The only driver that does not produce the random black screen is 8.16.11.8921 - 2/19/2010. It is the driver which actually shipped with earlier 2010 machines on the original recovery DVD and is also on the Dell website (The First Nvidia Driver Release). All other versions cause the random black screen. If you have updated the Nvidia driver from Microsoft Update, revert back to the original version and that should fix the issue. The only drawback is graphics performance loss with the old driver.

Dell and Nvidia should really do something about this. It seems like too many systems are having this issue. Like others mentioned, nothing shows up in log files or diagnostic tools which makes it almost impossible to figure out.

1 Message

May 26th, 2015 12:00

we have de same problems with a M6500 and we want to solve this issue.

Could you send me a link so we can download the files. On the recovery DVD of our M6500 we find another version (A01 - late sept 2010)

2 Posts

May 28th, 2015 12:00

What worked for me was the comment by NetGuyCA on 5 Jun 2014 9:43 AM

I didn't follow his A, B, and C, so much, just 1, 2, 3, and 4.  I'm not certain if Nvidia still has the NVIDIA Power Mizer Manager software for download still, but it's available at other places.

The HWMonitor still seems to be available at the link, and is a nice temperature monitor. Initially i checked it fairly regularly, but not so much anymore. My GPU temps always show in the low 40s.

It's been about six months since I installed the NVIDIA Power Mizer Manager, over which time my M6500 with the Quadro FX2800M has crashed just a couple times, probably for other reasons.

Good luck.

1 Message

June 5th, 2015 16:00

NETGUYCA. You saved me some $$$. For more than a year I had this issue and I could not understand why, thought it was my video card and did not have the nerve to manually replace it. I did not bother with my M6500 and forgot about it until a month ago I came across your solution. I confirmed, It worked on battery only and black/blank out when on AC. I got the power mizer and voila! I did not post earlier as I really wanted to make sure my M6500 ran for a month (for 6+ hours :) a day ) without black (blank screen) outs.

So, I owe you something for bringing back my M6500. Thanks a lot!!

4 Posts

April 15th, 2016 04:00

Oh.  My.  Gods.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

I was having this issue with my M6500 from day one.  It was happening on Windows 7; I thought upgrading to Windows 8 would solve it.  It didn't.  I kept hoping it was software so upgraded to Windows 10, to no avail.  I updated and rolled back drivers, did a clean system reinstall, scoured the Internet... - you name it.  I finally reconciled myself to it being a hardware fault, but the thought of replacing the G.P.U., motherboard, and who knows what was just not an option, nor was selling it: The thing's worth a few hundred bucks now, and I paid well over a thousand for it back in 2012.  I was practically heartbroken because I love my M6500, but with the screen cr4pping out several times a day, it was unusable for any serious work.

I gave it one last shot to try to find a solution and came across this answer.  You did it!  I disabled the overheat shut-down, and the workstation has been purring like a kitten ever since: a week now with no problems.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

2 Posts

April 18th, 2016 08:00

Hello netguyca,

I have the same problem with dell M6500.

I tried to find NVIDIA power mizer manager software in google search and yahoo search, but

there are not the download link. I couldn't find it,

Where did you find that software?

Please let me know.

4 Posts

April 24th, 2016 16:00

Narabreeze:

I also had a helluva time finding it.  It's not available anywhere as a standalone file.  After much search I tracked it down and it was in a zip file.  I was apprehensive about downloading a zip file from a fishy source, but my desperation for a solution prevailed and I did it.  Luckily, it was legit.

I uploaded the .exe file to http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g1aa139c171811074999819122c3b26fb16cef17ec

It'll be available for the next four weeks.

Best,

Michael

3 Posts

June 8th, 2016 01:00

A better solution. 08-June-2016

Instead using NVIDIA power mizer manager (which could lead to poor graphic performance), we could use the official nvidia control panel and nvidia inspector.

This method only tested with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit 7601, Intel core i5 M560, 4GB Samung DDR3 and Nvidia Quardro FX 2800M (9.18.0013.4195 ver) 

1. Go to nvidia control settings > Manage 3D settings and set Power Manage Mode to:

Preferred Maximum Performance.

--Sorry for chinese locale Win7.

2. Download Nvidia inspector from guru3D

3. Did some trial and error for under clocking the GPU clock, mem clock and shader clock. Here is my settings, yet not optimized. 

And here the result, no black screen yet good graphic performance (not as good as the stock clock, but better than using NVIDIA power mizer manager.

-Benchmark tool: Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Benchmark

No Events found!