Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 18th, 2008 10:00

MX1530 - Lose wireless connection after a period of time. Need to reboot to re-establish

I'll be browsing the web then all of a sudden web pages stop loading (as well as email stops too). Not even disconnect/reconnect to my wireless network solves it - only rebooting does. It will work fine for a while and then stop again. Also tried disabling my firewall (Zonealarm).

Wireless network drivers have been updated too by uninstalling the old drivers, rebooting, and updating.

Any suggestions or similar experience? 

August 18th, 2008 11:00

Could be an incompatibility with the router you're using...try another.

And, from personal experience, get rid of ZoneAlarm, use Windows built-in firewall...and certainly make sure you're not using both.

Cheers!

4 Posts

August 18th, 2008 18:00

I have this exact same issue. It can happen anywhere from right upon boot up to 2 hours after using the laptop. I notice when it happens that every single time the blue WiFi LED will go out. The wireless NIC is still there is dev mgr but Vista finds no wireless networks and nothing I do will make them come back except for rebooting. I have tried uninstalling the wireless NIC in dev mgr while this is going on and it will just hang on "uninstalling" forever and require a hard reboot.

This is NOT a router incompatibility nor does it have anything to do with any software. I have rebuilt the OS on this machine multiple times and at all steps in the process it happens. After a clean install with Windows only drivers, then again after updating to all the latest Dell drivers, and still after getting all of my software installed.

I called Dell support and after several long support sessions I finally got them to just send a replacement Intel 3945ABG Wifi card but unfortunately the issue still persists. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated because I have been supporting and working on systems for over 20 years now and I am baffled by this one. All I can think of is a motherboard defect.

Message Edited by tripat on 08-18-2008 02:35 PM
Message Edited by tripat on 08-18-2008 02:37 PM

4 Posts

August 21st, 2008 13:00

Update. Tried uninstalling the Dell driver and using the Intel driver for the 3945ABG card which is much newer. Problem still exists so this is not a driver related issue. Using the internet on this laptop is next to useless. Every time this happens I get two specific events in the event log which are:

Warning 8/19/2008 10:25:01 PM Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig 4001 None "WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped."

Warning 8/19/2008 10:25:01 PM Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig 10002 None "WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped."

I have researched both of these and all I find are other posts from people having the same issues but no answers.

21 Posts

August 22nd, 2008 17:00

Hi!

My problem was that the WLAN stopped working after that the computer had been in sleep mode, I solved the problem myself in this way:

I entered the "Energy alternative" in Control panel, clicked at "Change schedule settings" (or something like that, my Vista speaks Swedish :-) ) and then "Change advanced settings". Opened "Settings for wireless network card" and "Energy saving...". Changed to "High performance" and voila, the WIFI card works after leaving Sleep mode.

I have looked in the documentation and search the web but I haven't found anything about what my changed value will do with the energy consumption. 

But your problem seems not to be similar to mine, but you may try it!

1 Message

August 24th, 2008 15:00

I have a very similar problem...

Anytime the computer goes to sleep, I log off and close the lid or any other option except shutting it off completely.

When i start the xps back up it will connect and try to identify the network, but will not make the full connection to the internet. Even if the computer goes to sleep and i restart it it still won't get connection.

The only way i've found to re-establish internet connection is to shut off the router for 10-15sec or reboot the router. However, this is a pain to have to do every time.

It's not an issue with the router because I have two other wireless computers and they work fine as does the wired comp.

For whatever reason the xps just won't reconnect after sleep or hibernate.

Oh, and to add... All the computers have the same Firewall (comodo), AV (Kaspersky) and settings, and windows firewall turned off.

Message Edited by billscarnage on 08-24-2008 09:26 AM

21 Posts

August 24th, 2008 20:00

@billscarnage wrote:

I have a very similar problem...

Anytime the computer goes to sleep, I log off and close the lid or any other option except shutting it off completely.

Message Edited by billscarnage on 08-24-2008 09:26 AM

Have you tried my way to come around the problem with putting the WLAN Energy saving to "High performance"?

21 Posts

August 26th, 2008 13:00

OK tripat!

What's the name of the driver? Do you have an URL to the downloadsite?

I found this driver at Intel site "WLAN.zip version: 11.1.0.86", is this the right one?

4 Posts

August 26th, 2008 13:00

Ok I **may** have solved my issue, or at least it's working for now. I had previously used the "driver-only" download form Intel's website. I read about some issues with bluetooth collaboration (my laptop has the bluetooth card) that the newest Intel ProSet Wireless Utility addresses. So I reinstalled the entire driver/proset utility instead of the driver by itself and so far I have not lost my Internet connectivity in about 4 days. I originally had the latest version of this driver/software from the Dell website installed but the Intel version is MUCH newer so it may address an issue the Dell version doesn't. Only time will tell but this is about the longest I have ever gone without the issue popping up.

4 Posts

August 27th, 2008 17:00

Here is what I used form the Intel site. In case there are any problems with the link I just went to Intel's site then in the support center I typed "3945ABG" whick led me to this download.

And by the way, it's been two more days and it's still working!!!

Intel® PROSet/Wireless Network Connection Software for Windows Vista* 32-Bit  

Drivers and management software for Microsoft Windows Vista* 32-bit OS.

Driver Versions:

-Intel® WiFi Link 5100: 12.0.0.82
-Intel® WiFi Link 5300: 12.0.0.82
-Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN: 12.0.0.82
-Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection: 12.0.0.82
-Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection: 9.1.1.15(32-bit OS support only)
-Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection: 9.1.1.15
(32-bit OS support only)

No Events found!