Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

13 Posts

March 10th, 2008 04:00

Media Direct button on laptop does not work

When I press the Media Direct button on my laptop nothing happens.  I have an Inspiron 9400. It came with windows xp home, but I have upgraded the os to vista home premium.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 10th, 2008 11:00

After you have performed an Operating System re-installation, install the audio driver following this order of installation:

a. Install Dell Notebook System Software (click the + sign next to System Utilities). Restart.

b. Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (click the + sign next to Chipset). Restart.

c. Finally re-install the Sigmatel audio driver  (click the + sign next to Audio).

Get these from the downloads page for E1705/9400 Vista.

Look on the taskbar and see if you have the Quickset icon there. It's in the shape of a blue Q with a yellow tail sticking out of it.

If the icon is missing look under Start/All Programs and see if you have the Dell Quickset program. Follow the arrow to the word 'Quickset' and click on it and the 'Q' icon should appear on the taskbar.

If you don't have the Quickset program you can download it from your downloads page under 'Applications'.

Quickset's main function is to start the power management wizard; however, clicking the icon lets you enable or disable the Fn keys for volume and screen brightness, and it is necessary for Media Direct to function.

Jim

4 Posts

March 10th, 2008 15:00

Jimco

I have a similar problem on my Inspiron 9400/E1705 which runs WinXP and not Vista as 3-10-08 cmacandrew's . 

Without re-installing the WinXP, I tried your step a. to install Dell Notebook System Software but the message I got was as follws:  

"The self extracting zip file is part of a multi disk zip file. Please insert thhe last disk of the set."

After Clicking OK twice the message came up:

"error occurred while unzipping. One or more files were not successfully unzippec. The error code is 110"

Steps b. and C. went OK but the solution didn't work and I had to edit registry again for my InputMonitor problem!

As I do not intend to upgrade my Win XP soon, do I need to re-install my WinXP and follow your given steps to resolve the problem.

Grateful if you could help.

Liboyi

341 Posts

March 10th, 2008 16:00

did u leave some space , like 3 GB  or 4 GB to install media direct or not.. otherwise that media direct button wont work if u havent left a partition at the time of windows installation........

which version of media direct is it ...?

13 Posts

March 10th, 2008 19:00

I followed the steps and installed the three programs, but still nothing happens when I hit the media direct button. I also noticed that I do not have a media direct icon on my desktop or listed in my list of programs. I do however have windows media center listed in programs.

341 Posts

March 11th, 2008 16:00

what r the 3 programs that u r referring to .........  windows media center is completely different from Dell Media Direct.

13 Posts

March 11th, 2008 19:00

Thanks for you reply. I was able to get it working by installing the three programs from Dell below and then re installing media direct from the windowsmd directory on the cd.

A. Install Dell Notebook System Software (click the + sign next to System Utilities). Restart.

b. Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (click the + sign next to Chipset). Restart.

c. Finally re-install the Sigmatel audio driver  (click the + sign next to Audio).

13 Posts

March 11th, 2008 19:00

Jimco  The Media Direct button is working now. I installed the three programs you requested and then re installed me direct from the windowsmd directory on the cd. Thanks for your help.

4 Posts

March 12th, 2008 19:00

Although I have bags of space on my two partitions C (60GB Free) and E (20GB fREE) i didn't leave either  partition specifically for Media Direct Installation. Am unable to establish version number at the moment.

Hope this helps you to help me!

Liboyi

1.1K Posts

March 17th, 2008 17:00

Liboyi:

If you have installed XP on your system that shipped with Vista, then you probably wiped the MD partition. Refer to the following link for reinstallation of MediaDirect:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=3082DAC1D7384CD5E040A68F5B2814A2&journalid=41B4C5777A62230FE040A68F27286A4C&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=&os=&component=〈=&doclang=en&toggle=&dl=false

If you need the MD reinstallation discs, you can request them via this link:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

1 Message

October 29th, 2009 14:00

I know this is slightly different form the above, but can you please tell me how to get the media direct button working with Windows 7 Media Centre as I've just upgraded my XPS M1730 from XP  to Windows 7 and don't want to re-install Dell media direct. I've got 2 HDD's running in raid strip and totally wiped both hard drives before installing Windows 7. Thecomputer management shows a 100mb windows system reserved partition and a 372mb raid drive. Many thanks.

No Events found!