Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 22nd, 2017 19:00

Memory problem with memory under the keyboard of my Precision 7710

The machine came with 16GB in primary slots on bottom side.

Successfully upgraded them to 32GB.

Trouble with the top (secondary) slots underneath the keyboard.

First try (with memory installed) the machine was essentially "Dead" -- only the battery light alternated amber/white for a few seconds and the machine would power off.

Second try.  I used same brand as in bottom side.

The BIOS showed 64GB in all four slots.

HOWEVER, the machine would not boot up Windows 10 Pro.

After removing the memory and  putting back the battery, I noticed the keyboard electrical connectors to keyboard that are under the battery had worked loose. 

Don't know if they were already loose when I was trying the full 64GB installed.

Could this be the reason that the BIOS could see the memory, but the OS would not start?

Just asking before I go to the effort to try another time to use 64GB.  Having to deal with the keyboard each time is a real hassle.

OR, could there be another reason for the memory under the keyboard not functioning properly?

THANKS.

27 Posts

September 23rd, 2017 09:00

I have verified that each of the4 16GB RAMs work when installed in the lower/underside primary slots.

A 32GB system works fine.

When all 64GB are installed (all four slots), the system will not boot.

I get as far as the login screen (where password is to be entered), then before I can login, the screen shuts down.

27 Posts

September 26th, 2017 14:00

WIth 64GB installed, the BIOS sees all the RAM, and the system passes the ePSA RAM testing via BIOS.

BUT, when I then proceed to boot, the system will get as far as the login screen for windows.

Shortly after that (from 1 to 10 seconds, it vary from run to run) the whole system crashes:

NO blue screen of death, nothing!

No response to any keyboard,  Ctrl-Alt-Del, whatever.

Must use power button to restart.

Soon as I remove the UPPER 32GB, the machine returns to normal operation.

SO, is this hardware (e.g., a socket), software (e.g., some driver), or BOTH?

Has anyone seen anything like this?

I'm open to suggestions.

No Events found!