Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2012 06:00

Memory upgrade Inspiron N5050

Is there a step by step instructions to upgrade the RAM on the N5050?

The manual is very basic - it says to remove keyboard but...

HELP!

:o/

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 8th, 2012 07:00

Everything is there, step by step.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2012 08:00

Yeesss... I tried to release the four tags at the back of the keyboard but all I pulled off was the thin shiny plastic separators between the keys. I just couldn't get the kb to release and was scared of damaging it. 

Pity there is not a video - there is not an up to date one on youtube. The images on the instructions above are very basic. 

3 Posts

October 7th, 2012 09:00

Hi!  Well, I just purchased my N5050 from COSTCO and wanted to upgrade the memory and went to Google search to find a video and coul not find one on the N5050.

There were several step by step "words" and "Pictures with words" but no video.

I have the same problem with RELEASE of the keyboard. You puch the tab in and it just pushes back in and relocks the tap after you pull the scribe out.

From what I have seen in the pictures is when you push the lock in the board pops out some how allowing a finger to get under the top of the keyboard to lift up. The entire problem is; the key board just does not pop up!

Gus

677 Posts

October 18th, 2012 02:00

Hi gusbeall,

The following link will help you in remove and reseat Memory and Keyboard:

http://dell.to/T2c0y3

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

October 18th, 2012 12:00

Just does NOT work Harish. Once again as I said in my initial post:

"I have the same problem with RELEASE of the keyboard. You puch the tab in and it just pushes back in and relocks the tap after you pull the scribe out.

From what I have seen in the pictures is when you push the lock in the board pops out some how allowing a finger to get under the top of the keyboard to lift up. The entire problem is; the key board just does not pop up!"

Please send me a VIDEO link where, when you release the 4 tabs the keyboard POPS UP; because it just does NOT happen on my keyboard. You release a tab IT JUST RELOCKS WHEN YOU PULL OUT THE SCRIB/SCREW DRIVER!

Very Respectfully, Gus Beall

677 Posts

October 20th, 2012 05:00

Hi gusbeall,

I appreciate your effort in having the issue fixed. I following link will take you to the 'Keyboard' removal video:

http://bit.ly/UiH0vG

I hope this helps.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

October 22nd, 2012 11:00

The video would be correct IF, and I say IF again, when you pushed the tabs in they STAYED IN and did not pop out again as SOON as you remove the screwdriver from the slot. When the tab pops out as soon as you remove the screwdriver, it relocks the keyboard in place.

When you push on the locking TAB with the screwdriver does it have something that is required to HOLD it in the unlocked position? If it just spring loaded and when you remove the screwdriver the TAB pushes right back in place & relocks the keyboard I do not understand how the keyboard just "POPS UP"?

The only way I see that it is possible to remove the keyboard is to have FOUR PEOPLE pushing on the release tabs at the exact same time so there is not a sigle tab locked into place and holding the keyboard down.

Maybe, just maybe, my keyboard is a later, upgraded model; or something, because the locking tab does NOT act like the video shows. You PUSH the tab and when the screwdriver is removed; the tab returns to the LOCKED position.

Respectfully, Gus Beall

677 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 04:00

Hi gusbeall,

I appreciate your efforts and patience in trying to remove the Keyboard. There are not parts that are missing on the keyboard which is causing this issue. Since it is a new system, it is difficult to remove it for the first time. I may suggest that once you remove one of the keyboard lock, keep something between the keyboard and the palmrest so that it doesnt lock again. If this doesnt help, I suggest that you get in touch with a local technician to have the Keyboard removed.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

1 Message

November 2nd, 2012 11:00

Does this video help? Different language, but a helpful video nonetheless:

1 Message

November 5th, 2012 17:00

I was having the same issue. I found that I was able to release the keyboard easier when i entered the flat head screw driver in and after moving the tab i rotated the screwdriver to the right slightly and it popped out of the tab.  Hopefully that will work for you too!

No Events found!