Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2013 22:00

My Inspiron laptop will not start up

I have my older Dell laptop that shut down the other day and I thought the battery had just ran all the way out, plugged it in left it to charge and when I went back it would not power up at all. My son's new laptop had this issue and the tech support had me press and F key repeatly and I think either hold down the power button or press it and let go? I wanted to try this with my laptop but can not remember what F key or the trick with the power button. Help please, hoping it's not gone had current work and family pictures on it.

Thanks

1.3K Posts

July 10th, 2013 23:00

Hi Saintmatthew,

Kindly Remove the Battery, the AC Adapter and any other devices connected to the system. Press and hold the power button continuously for 30 seconds to release the Flea Power and then try to switch on the system with the battery and adapter connected.

Also run a diagnostic test on the system. Press FN+Power button together to initiate the diagnostics.  If the test fails, please make a note of any error codes listed. You can also refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/OUGnqT

1.8K Posts

March 7th, 2013 23:00

Hi Appieloosa,

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below, first to release any static power in the laptop that may be causing this issue:

1. Remove the battery and the AC Adapter from the laptop.
2. Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds and release it.
3. Reconnect the battery, AC Adapter and press the Power button.
4. The laptop should power on if the static charge was the cause.

You can press the "Fn" key and the "Power" button to start the hardware diagnostics if the laptop fails to power on after following the steps provided above.

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

May 10th, 2022 10:00

Please try the following:

1) Please perform a hard reset on your computer.

a. Shutdown the computer by holding down the power button from 15 to 20 seconds.

b. Remove the battery and the AC Adapter from the laptop.

c. Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds and release it.

d. Reconnect the battery, AC Adapter and press the Power button.

e. The laptop should power on if the static charge was the cause.

Note: For laptops with a non-removable battery, please skip the battery removal step and unplug the AC adapter or charger. Press the power button for 30 seconds and then reconnect the AC adapter or charger and check again.

The following video demonstrates how to perform a hard reset on your computer: Perform a hard reset

2) Please perform one last step by resetting the Real-Time Clock (RTC).

Please connect the AC adapter or charger, and then press and hold the power button for 25 seconds.

Note: When the AC adapter or charger is removed from the computer during the reset process, or the power button is pressed less than 25 seconds or longer than 40 seconds, the RTC reset will be aborted.

The following video demonstrates how to reset the RTC: How to Real Time Clock RTC reset

Helpful video:

If still inside the purchased warranty period and need more assistance, click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.

1.8K Posts

March 12th, 2013 09:00

Hi Appieloosa, unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my message. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

1 Message

April 9th, 2013 10:00

I have tried this solution numerous times with no success. When I am able to run startup repair and do so, it says "unspecified changes to system configuration may have caused the problem." I have made no changes recently.

2 Posts

April 9th, 2013 11:00

I have a dell 620..its new but they(dell)cant seem to mfix it ...mostly blue screen mini dump..but other prblems too.  this has been happening since I made the purchase 10 months ago.  Support says My warranty is only good for 4 calls believe me I've exceeded that many times over.  Every time I call it's 100$  here 300$ there buy an external hard drive to protect my data...my "good deal" dell has now over doubled in price and they want me to buy soft ware insurance...its terrible being ignorant when it comes to computors. several times I have requested my $ money back but dell says that won't happen...funny thing is I have several dells...4 laptops and 6 desktops...they were pretty good machines.  I can get behind the idea I have a lemon but I can't get behind the idea that  dell can't or won't fix the problem with out charging me a small fortune.... apple starting to become an option in my mind although I've dismissed this for many years as I was happy with the product.  I refuse to give dell another dime...so what do I do? can anyone give me some good advise as to how to solve this problem machine and my total dissatisfaction with michael dell and his company? is there a reputable non dell entity that could fix this problem and for future comp purchases a brand with a more customer friendly sales and service out there? thankyou for any help anyone may give me-michael

1 Message

June 28th, 2013 01:00

How Can I Fix My Dell Vostro 1400 Laptop ? When I Turn It On The Power And Continue But Its Stop Loading ? How Can I Fix This ? Please Help Me To Fix My Laptop ? 

October 10th, 2013 17:00

I'm having the same problem I did the static test andbi press the power button and fn my computer still won't turn on

1.5K Posts

October 10th, 2013 23:00

Hi monetw11495,

Please share the system model and the operating system.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

October 11th, 2013 11:00

Dell inspiron 1440

1.5K Posts

October 12th, 2013 06:00

Hi monetw11495,

You may try to power on system just on the battery without the adapter and just on AC adapter without the battery.

I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter

Please share the status of LED on the AC adapter.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

October 12th, 2013 14:00

I did this. It still won't turn on, I even pressed the power button and fn at the samr time it still won't turn on

1 Message

March 14th, 2014 08:00

Dear sir I m using the Dell Laptop Inspiron N 5010

My Laptop battery has got expired from last 6 months and i m not getting time to replace it.So I am using by simply plugging in power.Two days back i was forced to shut my system down but since then whenever i am trying to switch on the system it asks to starts windows normally or by repair. Whichever option i give to the system, it doesn't last more than 30-35 seconds and gets shut down. I have tried more than 50 times by all means.

I tried all of the options as below but all in vain and the problem persists. Please suggest me any concrete solution apart from that given below as these all tactics I have tried

I would suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps which may resolve the issue:

1.Disconnect external peripherals like printers, to check if any of the external devices are causing the issue.

2. Also, perform flea power on the laptop. Remove the AC adapter, battery and any external peripherals connected, now hold the power button down for 10 seconds to drain static power. Restart the system and check if issue is resolved.

3. Check if hard drive gets detected in BIOS. To enter BIOS, shut down the system and keep tapping F2, on the Main screen of BIOS, you will see the status of the hard drive. If it is not detected, I would suggest you to reseat it. Refer to the link for removing and replacing hard drive: http://bit.ly/ZysMdy

4. If the hard drive gets detected in BIOS, try to boot the system to Safe Mode. To boot the computer in Safe Mode, please switch on the computer and start tapping the F8 key which would take you to Advanced Boot Option screen. Using the up and down arrow key, select Safe Mode to boot the computer into Safe Mode.

5. If you are not able to boot to the system in Safe Mode, perform clean boot. Click Start > type msconfig.exe in the Start Search and hit Enter. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and click to clear the Load startup items check box. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and click Disable all. Now restart the computer in normal mode and check.

6. If you are not able to boot the system to Safe Mode, boot to Windows Recovery & try system restore outside windows environment. Refer to the link: http://dell.to/1137HoH

7. The issue still remains run Start Up repair. I would suggest you to run Startup Repair using the Windows CD. Insert the Windows CD and shut down the system. Once you power on keep tapping F12 key to start from CD/DVD. Choose Repair your computer after Windows Loading files. Now select Startup Repair.

1 Message

July 30th, 2014 11:00

Good day

My dell vostro 2521 won't start up. It loads for about 3 seconds then automatically restarts and shuts down then restart over and over. I barely have enough time to read the error message. It happened after I used AVG tune up. It was supposed to restart to complete scan. Please how do I go about it?

1 Message

August 10th, 2014 12:00

I have the same problem.   My Dell Inspiron N4010 does this:

• I press the start button
  • The laptop starts, with the Dell logo appearing.
  • Then the progress bar starts to go.
  • At about 3/4 done the laptop shuts down and immediately starts over.

The screen that comes up with the Dell logo and progress bar has two instructions.  F2 Setup and F12 Bott Options.  I have tried doing both in the short time that the laptop is on.  I have also tried the two actions listed above, battery removal andhold start button and Fn.  

Any ssuggestions? 

TThanks for your help. 

No Events found!