Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2011 07:00

My Laptop Fan is not working

i have dell studio 1558

my laptop fan is not working...what should i do????

my computer become overheated and shutdown repeatedly......

i need one diagnosis tool to check my laptop fan is working or not....but i can't found any tool from dell for windows 7 64 bit.....

18 Posts

July 30th, 2011 08:00

Hi

There is a Dell Diagonostics utility on the support page for your laptop:

supportapj.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

However it is a 32 bit application so you need to download it, install it and run it from windows, which might be a problem if your laptop keeps shutting down.....

If your still under warranty get Dell to come and fix it, try to avoid keep letting it shut down though as you could damage your Hard Drive and then be in more trouble.

If your not under warranty you can get a fan for about $50 from ebay then get someone to fit it for you.

August 3rd, 2011 02:00

i already send email about this problem.....but i didnt get reply yet.....

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 3rd, 2011 05:00

The built-in diagnostics are accessed by pressing F12 at powerup.  Boot to the Dell diagnostics from the menu that appears.

18 Posts

August 4th, 2011 01:00

turn the fan same thing i do for my desktop computer

207 Posts

August 4th, 2011 08:00

Hello Achal,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

You can find the steps for the Diagnostics from the following link; 

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?&docid=DSN_155502&isLegacy=true

If your system is still covered under warranty you can send me a private message with the service tag of your system. I will be happy to contact you and resolve this issue.

-Niranjan

1 Message

August 26th, 2012 00:00

I have a Dell inspiron and though my fan seems to work but the laptop gets really hot and sometimes shutdown with out giving any notice. I have the laptop for about 2 and a half years now. I don't understand what is the problem and am worried that this issue might cause a problem to my hard drive!

Please Help!!

2.6K Posts

August 26th, 2012 01:00

Hello Hind,

There are three troubleshooting steps that I would suggest.
Please follow the steps mentioned bellow.

1. Cleaning the Vents:
-- Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
-- Turn off the System.
-- Unplug the AC Adapter.
-- Remove the Battery, for instructions on how to remove the battery see the Service Manual.
-- Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents.

2. Update the BIOS:
An out of date BIOS can cause heat issues by having an outdated temperature table for the system.
Visit the Dell Drivers and Downloads website and input your Service Tag to get updates specific to your computer.
If you need assistance in downloading and updating the BIOS,
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection?
-- Enter the service tag of the computer and choose the Operating System.

3. Hardware Diagnostics Check:
-- Shut down the computer.
-- Disconnect all the peripherals from the computer. (If it is a desktop, only the monitor, keyboard, mouse and the power cable should be connected. In case it is a laptop only the ac adaptor).
-- Restart the computer and keep tapping F12.
-- It takes you to the One Time Boot Menu.
-- Select Diagnostics and press Enter.
If the test fails capture the error code and get back to us, I would let you know the next course of action.

2 Posts

August 8th, 2013 09:00

you can do 3 things

clean your fans and use a cooling pad.

set your cpu not on full power.

how to do this?

open AMD engine control center

go to performance

go to clock speed.

and set your cpu speed to 87%  for my cpu is that ( 1.6GHz= 100%  1.4GHz=87%)

this wil solve your heating problems a bit but your pc preformes wil not be 100% so if your are going to use heavy programs ore games  like far cry 3 ore battlefield 3 your wil notice some lagg and FPS drop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is not a easy solution but i did it and it works. PLZ ONLY DO THIS IF your not using heavy programs or dont care about lagg. and dont care about warrantyof your pc. or don't know anything about hardware and opeling laptops!!!!!! because if you do this and your fail dell will not repair your pc and you can trow it away!!!!!!!!!!

step 1.

look under your laptop into yor fan if there isn't anything blocking your fan. ( if that is as it was in my case. dell placed a piece of plastic in front of the fan!! i don't know why)

download the hardware manual.

and READ how to open your laptop and remove your motherboard. and remove the piece of plastic.

if step one isn't the case or it isn't working you can do 2 things.

one follow this guy.

some peoply have made new drivers so you can controll your fan!!!!

make shure your dell moddel is in the list if this isn`t it might not work or your destroy your PC!!

THESE DRIVERS AREN`T SUPPORTED BY DELL SO IF IT DOES"T WORK ORE YOU FAN WILL STOP FOREVER YOUR PROBLEM NOT MINE AND NOT DELL`S!!!

if your dell is not in the list and it isn`t working like in my case you can do one last thing. i don`t recommended this because you can easily destroy your pc.

what i did and works for my is removing the fan control by disconnecting the fan wire and solder it on the adapther i found that was 6V. if you do that you will disable fan controll. so your fan is always running at 100%.

THE SAME FOR THIS IF YOU MESS IT UP YOUR PROBLEM NOT MINE.

i hope this will work.

and sorry if there are some type and gramma mistakes.

im from the Netherlands and im 16 years old.

No Events found!