Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2012 09:00

N5110 BIOS..

I have Dell inspiron n5110..and its Bios version is A07..if i have update dell n5110 i7 A10 bios settings, should i reinstall Windows 7 ???

September 11th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

You may update BIOS from A07 to A10. There is no need to reinstall Windows operating system. Newer versions contain updates, enhanced, features, new features, and bug fixes.

Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:
- Battery should have 10% charge
- Adapter should be connected
- No external devices should be connected
- All other programs should be closed and documents saved

If you want to update BIOS in n5110 to A10, please follow the steps listed below:
- Click the link: http://dell.to/PEb2UQ
- Download the file on 'Desktop'
- Right click the file and click 'Run as an administrator'
- Click 'Yes' to agrees to 'User Access Control' prompt
- Follow through with the installation instructions
- System will produce some beeping sounds and will restart itself
- BIOS is updated on the restart

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

September 12th, 2012 09:00

is there any RISK about this update???

September 13th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

There is no risk in updating BIOS. Please ensure that you follow the safety instructions listed below before flashing the system BIOS:
- Battery should have 10% charge
- No external devices should be connected (USB or others)

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

2 Posts

November 21st, 2012 05:00

hi

my dell inspiron n5110 is heating too much which is affecting performance. please give any solution and please suggest good notebook cooler for my laptop upto rs2000.

November 22nd, 2012 23:00

Hi Gaurang4,

1. Please ensure that the vents of the system are clean and allow free circulation of air inside the system. You may use a can of compressed air to clean the vents. Before you clean the air vents of system:

• Turn off the System
  • Unplug the AC Adapter
  • Unplug all external peripherals
  • Remove the Battery
  • Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through. See example in the image below:

(Left side of the laptop)                                        (Bottom of the laptop)

• Use Compressed Air to blow the dust out of the vents
    Note: Do not use your mouth to blow the Dust out of a Laptop. If using a can of compressed air use the can according to the directions on the side of the can as you can cause damage to the computer if used incorrectly

2. If the previous step does not resolve the issue, update the BIOS to latest version.
Note:
Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-
- Battery should have 10% or greater charge
- No external devices should be connected

Link to download the latest BIOS (Compatible with Windows 7/8 64 bit): http://dell.to/UmY8yD

- Click “Download File”
- Save the BIOS on your desktop
- Right click on it and select “Run as administrator”
- Follow the prompts on screen to install BIOS (System may produce beep sounds and may restart)
- Restart computer and recheck

3. If the issue still persists, check the CPU usage of your computer (please ensure you check it when system fan is making noise
To check CPU usage:

• Start the Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl, Alt and Delete at the same time
  • Click 'Task Manager' (Task Manager opens up)
  • Click the "Processes" tab. In this screen, the first box shows the percentage of CPU usage
  • Click on that application (make a note of the process) and click ‘End Task’
  • Check if the same issue occurs
4. If the issue is still not fixed, please run hardware diagnostics to check the functionality of system hardware.Follow the steps listed below:
  • Power off the laptop (Ensure that AC Adapter cable is plugged in)
  • Power on the laptop and repeatedly tap key
  • Select option 'Diagnostics'
  • For any problem encountered during a test, a message appears with an error code and a description of the problem
  • Write down the error code and problem description exactly as it appears
  • Exit from the 'testing mode' and restart the laptop

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 04:00

thank you, your reply is really very helpful.please assist me buying a good notebook cooler for this model n5110 and give me some choices too.

November 23rd, 2012 21:00

Hi Gaurang4,

Glad that you found the troubleshooting steps useful. You may want to use a self powered cooling pad as it draws energy from an external source and does not burden the laptop at all. There are many 'cooling pad' manufacturers in the market; you may also want to explore options with retail stores in your area.

Please refer to the following link on Dell website to take a glance at some cooling pads: http://bit.ly/10KcRWn
Note: This web link is only for reference to check the technical specifications of the listed pads; this page is region specific and may not be viable for purchase.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

November 26th, 2012 02:00

hi.i have big problem with my lap top.

when i was updating bios my laptop got shut down and since that i cant turn on my laptop.when i press the power button i justhear fan voice and also my DVD-rom works but the led dosent work and is off.the type of my laptop is DELL INSPIRON N5110

November 28th, 2012 01:00

Hi Rezarahnama,

It appears that the laptop is unable to complete the 'POST' process. POST (Power on self test) is an early stage of the start-up process and may indicate an issue with the system hardware (Memory or Motherboard). The following troubleshooting steps will help us to get a better understanding:

1. Remove any peripheral devices that are attached to the computer. Peripherals include:
- Printers
- Scanners
- Media Card Readers
- Mobile devices such as smart phones or tablets or portable digital assistants or MP3 players
- Digital cameras or video recorders
- USB storage devices
- Remove the computer from a docking station if it is in one
- Remove any CDs or DVDs in the optical drive

2. Drain out the residual power:
- Power off your computer.
- Unplug the AC adaptor and battery of your computer.
- Press and hold the power button of your computer for 10-15 seconds to drain out the residual power.
- Release the power button.
- Insert the AC adapter only and power on the laptop
- If it goes beyond 'Dell Logo' this time, power it off, insert the battery also
- Power on the computer and recheck results

3. Run 'hardware diagnostics' to check hardware functionality
- Power the system off
- Power it back on and repeatedly tap < F12 > at Dell Logo (If Windows Logo appears, please repeat the same steps)
- Use arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight 'Diagnostics' option
- Tap < Enter > and run PSA (Pre Boot System Assessment)
- Follow the onscreen instructions and capture error(s) if observed

4. If you are unable to launch F12 screen/diagnostics, try forcing the diagnostics
- Power off the laptop
- Unplug adapter cable and battery
- Push down and hold the power button and insert the adapter cable back in (Once inserted, release the power button immediately)
- This should force the diagnostics to start (If prompted with an error about missing battery, please ignore and move forward with the testing)
- Capture error(s) if observed

5. Check for any beep sounds
Please capture pattern/details of any beep sounds if heard from the laptop

6. Check the status of 'Power button LED'
Please check the color and power behavior of the power button led and report

November 28th, 2012 05:00

hi DELL-SAURABH. thanks for your attention.
after studying your suggestion i tried but i couldn't lunch F12 screen/diagnostics because the LED Screen is BLACK, so i tried forcing the diagnostics.
after pushing down and holding power key, the "Power button LED" was on and laptop sounds 7 beeps per time.but the LED Screen still is BLACK and there is nothing in display.
i guess because the bios updating was incomplete this fault occurred.i will be glad to hear your advises.
best regard
reza

November 28th, 2012 20:00

I am having the same problem like Rezarahnama .My laptop shut down during Bios updating .I tried all the method that you mention above, but nothing works for me .When I hold press the power button and then insert the AC adapter soon I released the power button beep sound heard again and again ,but the power button light remains white. I think I had erase bios .How can I install A11 bios on empty board?. Screen gets black nothing on screen .We need your help. I really appreciate you if you come with a solution.

November 28th, 2012 23:00

Hi Reza,

Thank you for your prompt response. It appears to be a hardware failure and will need part replacement.

If the BIOS update failed to complete, it is the motherboard that may have been affected; however 7 beep sounds indicate 'processor failure'. Would request you to plug the adapter cable & battery; and power on the laptop again. Please check if it still produces 'beep sounds' and capture the 'beep pattern' again.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on 'Friends' tab at the top and then click on 'Request to Review' and finally click on 'Accept' button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on 'Inbox' to respond to the message and provide the system related details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Do reply if you have any further questions. I will be glad to assist.

November 29th, 2012 00:00

Hi Syed,

It appears to be a hardware related issue with the motherboard and it may need replacement.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on 'Friends' tab at the top and then click on 'Request to Review' and finally click on 'Accept' button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on 'Inbox' to respond to the message and provide the system related details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Do reply if you have any further questions. I will be glad to assist.

No Events found!