Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

8 Posts

August 14th, 2008 01:00

Need to reformat my Inspiron 6000. Help needed plz.

I have an Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop that I got about 3 years ago. Well, with all of the crossed files, partial programs, and possible viruses that may be in my computer..... its caused it to slow down a lot. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot.

So I think just reformatting and starting over from the beginning is the best option. I have done all I could to remove unwanted files and such but its still slow. In an effort to get it running faster, I actually turned off some of the startup tools (including my restore function on accident), so restoring back to day 1 is out of the question since it deleted all of my previous restore checkpoints up to that date.

Anyways, on to my question. What do I all need to reformat my laptop? I assume I will need a boot disc, Windows XP disc, and drivers disc. I could be wrong but this is how we always reformatted our Dell Dimension 4500 desktop. If this is the case, I will have to get Dell to send me the software since they didn't give me any to begin with.

Am I right about doing this? If not, can someone please explain what I need to do to reformat it and what I will need?

Message Edited by Deadcell34 on 08-13-2008 10:33 PM
Message Edited by Deadcell34 on 08-13-2008 10:59 PM

239 Posts

August 14th, 2008 02:00

Your windows xp disc is a startup disc. On my m1530, you hit f12 when it bios starts and it gives you the option of starting from cd/dvd.  Then it will boot from your xp disc.  It will usually ask if you want to repair or new install. choose new install and it will clean your hard drive and start from scratch. When you call dell be sure and get any drivers disc and media direct if it came with media direct.  after the install, go to dell support for you model and install all the updates available, that pertain to the hardware and software installed.  the disc or discs they send,  will most likely restore your computer to the way it came.

August 14th, 2008 03:00

I will boot it up and check right quick about the restore partition.

If I do have software that helps me make a new reinstallation cd, do you have any idea where it would be located? I know its not like you can see my laptop but I thought maybe there is a particular place where Dell might put the software.

So I can't use our desktop's Windows XP disc on my pc?

2.5K Posts

After installing Windows, you ned to install system drivers in one specific order.  If not, you may experience problem with Windows recognizing your hardware.

More info

The only problem that I have when it comes to what you said is Dell didn't give me a Windows XP disc. I only got some kind of word processing disc if I am right.

But from what you are saying, I don't need a reboot disc right? Just Hit F12 when before it starts up and I can do it from there?

2.5K Posts

By the way, you can check whether your notebook comes with a reinstallation CD or system restore partition etc. by checking your notebook's original configuration with your Service Tag (it's actually a packing list of the shipment):

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?~ck=ln&~tab=2&c=us&l=en&lnki=0&s=gen

Service Tag can be found on the bottom panel of your notebook

If you see something like "Media CD of Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional SP2 (English)", your notebook should have come with a reinstallation CD

2.5K Posts

Unfortunately my 6000 doesn't come with a restore partition or disc creating software, but I would try looking in Dell folder in your Windows' Start Menu

2.5K Posts

My Inspiron 6000 comes with its own Windows XP reinstallation CD.  You may have a restore partition (try CTRL+F11 on BIOS startup) or it comes with software that helps you make a reinstallation CD (you need to provide a blank CD)

Tons of stuff there.

The only things that I see that may be it are:

SRV,OS,WINDOWS,DATE-STAMP-A02

SRV,OS,WXP,MCE,Q885855

SRV,OS,WXP,MCE,X64,Q899591

and a few others.

It doesn't mention anything about a cd.

Ok, no Shft+F11 option there. Tried it and nothing happened.

Oh, can I use the Windows XP disc that came with our Dimension desktop? My computer has Windows XP Media Center Edition so I didnt know if that would cause a problem or not.

Checking your link now.

2.5K Posts

August 14th, 2008 07:00

That's just a description of the Windows it was installed at the factory; description of your Windows reinstallation option (CD, restore partition, etc.) is a separate entry on the list

You can use your Dell desktop's Windows XP CD, but from what you wrote, it looks like your notebook has a Media Center license, so you may end up using an unlicensed Windows if it is a different edition

Message Edited by esquire on 08-14-2008 04:09 PM

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 14th, 2008 10:00

Best either to get back up discs, or use nlite and a friends Dell xp professional or media centre disc to make your installation disc. Note do not slipstream service pack 3 into media centre edition.

YUse Belarc Advisor to get the volume license key on your machine, copy your friends xp mce to desktop and use nlite to change the code, create an iso file and burn it with roxio, you are allowed to make 1 back-up copy of your cd so it should not voilate your license agreement.

August 14th, 2008 16:00

Ok, I may just call up Dell and see what I can do. I will get my drivers disc and maybe try to argue with them and possibly get a reinstallation cd. Maybe if they see that my laptop never came with one, that won't have too much of a problem with giving me one.
No Events found!