Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

11 Posts

October 29th, 2008 01:00

Network Cable unplugged

I have a Netgear Wireless Router (newly installed) and a Dell Inspiron 1505 Laptop.  Desktop is Gateway ( 7 years old)  I cannot get my Dell laptop to connect to my internet service.  I get a message that says "network cable unplugged" and when I go into the connections the LAN icon has a red X on it as does the Wireless icon.  I have gone through the motions of unplugging the modem, router, ethernet etc and reconnecting 2x now and have repeated the Netgear set up once.  Can anyone help me here?  I am pretty new to tech talk so would need pretty clear directions.

Thanks!

26 Posts

October 29th, 2008 05:00

Hi,

How are you trying to conect to the Netgear Wireless Router? Have you made sure that your Wireless (WiFi) network adaptor is enabled? This might be disabled in the BIOS Setup, or just in Windows. Also if you are running on battery when you boot up the notebook, and there is no cable plugged into the Ethernet port (RJ45 socket), then the power management software will disable the LAN adaptor to save power. It can also do this for the Wireless adaptor, so you need to check for these settings in the device manager.

To open the Computer Management program, right click on the My Computer icon either on your desktop or in the Start Menu and select Manage. Now go to the 'Devices' node in the tree view in the right hand pane. Then look for Network Adaptors and see if there are any exclamation marks or questions marks next to the network adaptors. It sounds to me likely that there is some problem with the drivers for both the Wireless and Wired LAN adaptors so you might need to try re-installing these from the Drivers CD-ROM that should have come with your system. Otherwise you can download the latest drivers from the Dell Technical Support website. This link will take you to the correct page for selecting your system to find the latest Drivers for your system:

Dell Tech Support Website for Drivers

HTH.

Jonathan.

No Events found!