Highlighted
Will M
Copper

New Dell XPS 13 Fan Noise is ridiculous!

I was really looking forward to replacing my MacBook Air with the new XPS 13, but the fan noise is a deal breaker.  What I don't understand is how could Dell overlook this problem?  The Vostro V13 is very quiet and I barely notice when the fan is running.  Of course the MacBook Air is very quiet unless you are watching a video then it sounds like a hurricane.  But even with just Outlook open or browsing the web this fan in the XPS 13 is extremely annoying.  

I was looking forward to finally having a windows key again.  Maybe Dell will get it right next time.  Everything else about the XPS 13 is awesome.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
160 Replies
vAusTek
Bronze

Re: New Dell XPS 13 Fan Noise is ridiculous!

Yeah it is disappointing to say the least. I do not understand how they could make such an effort to build an elegent machine yet it be ruined by what sounds like a leaf blower on the back-end.

I have made mine a little quieter by changing a few things. Also note that once the indexing of windows completes, especially if you have Outlook it does get a little better. However I am getting idle temps at 57 degree Celsius and it ramps to 65-70 under load causing the fan to go nuts and I only have the i5.

Come on Dell what can we do?

Clint Eschberger

CIO - World Entrepreneurs Network

0 Kudos
jasher1968
Copper

Just received my new XPS 13 and the fan noise was the first thing I noticed. I actually thought something was wrong and was going to contact Dell support, but after reading this post, maybe not so fast. I was hoping to use the PC for work, but I can't imagine sitting in a meeting with my XPS open and fan blasting away like that. Maybe Dell will have a fix at some point.

Otherwise, I agree, everything else about the XPS 13 is great.

0 Kudos
Will M
Copper

I called support the night I received.  I really couldn't believe that this amazing new laptop had such a design flaw.  I really thought I had a bad fan and so did Dell support.  I'm receiving a new one today, but I'm already expecting that the same problem will exist.

0 Kudos

Thanks for joining the community.

I am sorry to read that you are having the problem with the fan noise.  I understand from reading your posts that you noticed the fan noise right off the bat, basically just turning on the machine, is this correct?

I would like to ask what version of the BIOS do you have installed on the notebook.  In windows just click start, search and search for sys. You should be able to see System Information in the list. You can also click start, all programs, accessories and then system information.  Open System Information and highlight system summary, then on the right look for BIOS Version/date  and it should list the version as A01 or A02 or something like that.  You can also start the system tapping F2 and get into the BIOS and find the version there.

Please reply back with the version number.  Hopefully we may be able to resolve this for you as quickly as possible.

Thanks

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
toledoralf
Copper

Same situation ......A01

0 Kudos
TFlo
Copper

I have the same situation, also.

0 Kudos
Will M
Copper

The initial machine I received on Wednesday and the replacement unit I received today both say A01.  I really hope a BIOS would solve this problem.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

0 Kudos
YoSoyFiesta
Bronze

For what its worth, I have a new i5 based XPS 13z, 256GB disk, BIOS A01. Quiet as a mouse unless playing video, then a bit of noise, but nothing approaching intolerable. Unpacked mine just a few hours, and love it. Absolutely love it.

0 Kudos
vAusTek
Bronze

I have the i5 with the A01 bios. It has calmed down some now.

Clint Eschberger

CIO - World Entrepreneurs Network

0 Kudos