Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

22 Posts

June 10th, 2005 23:00

New Inspiron 6000 Purchaser

I will be receiving my new Inspiron 6000 laptop in the coming week or so. While I have been using computers for my jobs in the past 5 years, i am not really a technical guy, and this will be my first laptop purchase and secong computer overall. I have seen on here numerous people stating there are certain things to do when you get the computer from Dell, such as make the Windows XP disc. I was wondering if anybody had any links to post or any helpful advice as to what are the logical steps of what to do once you get the laptop. The laptop will mainly be used to surf the net and eventually once I purchase microsoft works, I will use it for work as well, and eventually maybe video editing off a camcorder. The system is coming with microsoft XP home edition, and has Centrion technology and I already have the wireless router set up. I appreciate in advance any help you guys can relay to me. Thanks and have a good day.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You should be given the option to make the CD the first time you start the system.

Other note: if you bought the system with just a 1-year warranty, upgrade it to 3 before the 1 year expires.

22 Posts

I bought the computer off of QVC as a daily special, and it did come with the 3 year warranty. Thanks for the advice. Should I just burn the disc to a CD disc, or should I do it to a DVD, it has both burners, or does it not matter?

11.9K Posts

June 11th, 2005 00:00

@jr3153 wrote:
I bought the computer off of QVC as a daily special, and it did come with the 3 year warranty. Thanks for the advice. Should I just burn the disc to a CD disc, or should I do it to a DVD, it has both burners, or does it not matter?

CD is your only option.  Systems shipped after June 15, 2004 came with Symantec PC Restore. This utility restores the computer to an "as-shipped" condition. If you haven't reformatted, repartitioned, or otherwise modified the master boot record, it should work. Click here for instructions about Symantec PC Restore.

If the Symantec PC Restore utility won't work, but still resides on your computer, a Dell customer has figured out some ways to get it to work again. Note - If you removed this partition, it is not recoverable, cannot be downloaded from the internet, and cannot be shipped from Dell. Click here for ways to fix Symantec PC Restore. Users have also reported that the partition can be restored with Ghost 2003, and Ghost 9 using the '03 capabilities of it. If you boot to the Ghost 9 CD, select Advanced Recovery Taks, select Utilities, then Restore Legacy IMage it should work - but you want to verify the image before attempting the restore. It's in a folder called IMG.

Systems that shipped beginning in early 2005 may ship without Windows XP. There SHOULD be (but sometimes isn't) a utility on your computer to run and create the Windows XP CD. This is a RUN ONCE utility. Click here for instructions to create your Windows XP CD. Some users have reported needing to reboot a few times to get this utility to show up on the menu. You can also call Dell and request a CD and wait for it to ship.

151 Posts

June 11th, 2005 01:00

I'd like to intrude into this thread, if I may, as I am also considering an Inspiron 6000 purchase. If I understand the foregoing, the 6000 ships with the OS installed, but no backup CD containing the OS for reinstallation, should that become necessary. You are, however, given the option of popping in a blank CD-R and making a backup copy that way. Is that correct, or have I missed something? Also, what about backup CD's on the other preinstalled software. I plan to get the upgrade to Works Suite, mainly to get Word, and *assume* that the CD's will be included, as I believe that at least one of the components (Streets & Trips) requires that the CD be in the drive when using the program. Thanks for the help.

~Ed

11.9K Posts

June 11th, 2005 02:00

Shrimpo wrote:
I'd like to intrude into this thread, if I may, as I am also considering an Inspiron 6000 purchase. If I understand the foregoing, the 6000 ships with the OS installed, but no backup CD containing the OS for reinstallation, should that become necessary. You are, however, given the option of popping in a blank CD-R and making a backup copy that way. Is that correct, or have I missed something?  Correct.

Also, what about backup CD's on the other preinstalled software. I plan to get the upgrade to Works Suite, mainly to get Word, and *assume* that the CD's will be included, as I believe that at least one of the components (Streets & Trips) requires that the CD be in the drive when using the program. Correct.  Thanks for the help.

~Ed

You will NOT get CDs for drivers or free/trial software.

33 Posts

June 11th, 2005 14:00

I got my i6000 on June 1st. Included in the box was 2-Cyberlink PowerDVD disks (2 different versions for some reason), a Sonic MyDVD and RecordNow Software CD, and a WordPerfect Productivity Pack CD. Then on June 2nd I chatted with Dell and requested my XP CD and drivers CD - on June 3rd (20 Hours Later!!) I received my Reinstallation XP CD, a Dell Systems Software Device drivers and diagnostic utilities CD, and a Dell Tools system software CD with Antivirus software, support software, multimedia software, and Internet software.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by wonka187 on 06-13-2005 06:43 AM

151 Posts

June 11th, 2005 17:00

Yes, it does; thanks.

13 Posts

June 13th, 2005 09:00

The first few things that I did when I just got my new Inspiron6000 last week :

1.) Create the bootable disc by myself (though there are couple of Recovery CDs with the shipment).

2.) Download all the Norton Internet Security patches (inclusive of the Norton Antivirus patches/signatures).

3.) Then only I will slowly copy my data files & to install games on it.

:smileywink:

33 Posts

June 13th, 2005 14:00

If you want to get rid of all of the worthless software, and reinstall XP from scratch (which helps the computer immensely) just get on Dell chat (www.dell.com/chat) and chat with laptop support. Most of the time there is zero wait, and they seem to get stuff out to you quicker then phone support. I think Dell might actually be providing better support through chat on purpose to get peope to utilize the chat rather then call in.

Even better is the fact that although someone from india might not be able to speak or comprehend our voices very well...they seem to be able to chat very well - I haven't had a bad experience thus far.

4 Posts

June 13th, 2005 14:00

Looks like I'm gonna have to make a call and get those operating system and drivers CDs (especially after uninstalling the Norton stuff- 3 minute start-up, no thanks!). And special wrangling needed? Or for that matter, any special number instead of having to wait on Tech Support?
No Events found!