Highlighted
177rich177
Bronze

No bootable devices

Hey,
Someone else used my inspiron 510m and now when i turn it on i get "loading PBR for descriptor 2...failed." When I press a few random keys I get "No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"
I havn't got a clue what to do, and I'm useless with computers.
Please help somebody!
0 Kudos
17 Replies
bacillus
Diamond

Re: No bootable devices

Is your hard drive seen in BIOS?

If it is then you will have to try fixing it by booting off your XP CD, going into the restore console and trying to commands fixboot and/or fixmbr.
0 Kudos
177rich177
Bronze

I've given that a go, and it says "CARDBUS NIC boot failed"
then it goes on to say "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" amongst other stuff which doesn't look so bad
then we're back to "No bootable devices....etc"
0 Kudos
leduke30
Diamond

It sounds like he may have disabled your bootable drives in BIOS on Page 2. The Boot Order can be modified to move drives around, but it is also possible to disable them; they then willl not work no matter where they are in the Boot Order. On my I8200, you enable and disable them by highlighting them and then using the space bar. The Instructions for your model should be in the right column after highlighting the drive; your owner's manual only says it is possible , not specifically how to do it.
0 Kudos
177rich177
Bronze

No, they're all enabled.

This is getting frustrating!

Thanks for your suggestions though, any more ideas?

0 Kudos
bacillus
Diamond

You did not say if your BIOS is actually seeing your hard drive. You will find this information on page one of your BIOS where it will tell you the capacity of the hard drive.
0 Kudos
177rich177
Bronze

All I can see concerning the hard drive is "Primary Hard Drive: 40 GB"

0 Kudos
bacillus
Diamond

177rich177 wrote:
All I can see concerning the hard drive is "Primary Hard Drive: 40 GB"

That's good!

I suggest that you try using the fixboot and/or fixmbr command from the restore console.
0 Kudos
177rich177
Bronze

How do I do that???

Sorry I'm no good with computers at all, I need it spelling out, nice and slow lol.

Thanks a lot anyway.
0 Kudos
leduke30
Diamond

Does your model come with a floppy drive?
0 Kudos