Highlighted
dot512
Copper

Number 9 (white 9 on black background) in notification area of taskbar. Clicking on it does nothing. What is it for?

Jump to solution

This icon does nothing when left/right clicked.  What is it?  Do I need it?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
KirkD
Diamond

Re: Number 9 (white 9 on black background) in notification area of taskbar. Clicking on it does nothing. What is it for?

Jump to solution

Unset the number lock and see if the 9 goes away.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
asawyer13
Bronze

Re: Number 9 (white 9 on black background) in notification area of taskbar. Clicking on it does nothing. What is it for?

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem.

No changing the numlock doesn't change anything.

Running Win 7 64 bit on Dell 1747 laptop, with i7 cpu and 8gb.

I have killed off all processes that I know, or gotten out of the program to see if I could figure out which process it is, but that hasn't worked.

0 Kudos
jsalty
Bronze

Jump to solution

I have the same notification showing on my 1747, windows 64 bit, i7, and pressing the "NumLk" above the keypad #7 turns the notification off (the white 9 on the black background)

0 Kudos
Hammud
Bronze

Jump to solution

I have Dell XPS 15z and my keyboard does not have a keypad nor a numlock key.  How do I remove this icon?

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

Jump to solution

quickset.exe which is specific to Dell. Not sure what the 9 means.

If you bring up task manager and kill quickset the 9 goes away.

Press the num lock key (may be in conjunction with the Fn key) and it will go away.

Description: Dell taskbar icon allowing you to quickly change settings
File Location: C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
Startup Type: This startup entry is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi, have anyone fixed it??? I already bought an XPS L502X and before I installed Win7 SP1 the blackbox icon for QuickSet appear. I talked with Dell Support Centre and they told this is a bug for this version of QuickSet.

0 Kudos
speedstep
Diamond

Jump to solution

Uninstall Quickset.  Voila problem solved.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Jump to solution

I have an XPS 15 can just got this icon last week after owning this laptop for a year. Why have an icon that doesn't do anything. I have quickset keys above the keyboard. Looking into this I saw a newer bios so I downloaded and installed it. Icon went away. Thought I solved the problem. Next day it was back.

0 Kudos
jp678
Copper

Jump to solution

It's definitely the NumLk key on my new Dell Inspiron. 

Cheers