Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2009 17:00

PR01X Docking station question....

Hi,

I was wondering if we can hook up two external monitor to this dell docking station?  I see theres a DVI and VGA port  so waht i wanna do is use my laptop as the primary monitor along with the two external.

thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 20th, 2009 17:00

Not with that dock, no.  To do what you want you need the full D-series expansion station AND a PCI video card installed into it.  The internal video chip in the notebook cannot drive more than two displays simultaneously - you must use another video card to drive the third display, and the dock you have won't take a video card.

This is what you'd need:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080QGCS

plus a video card.

9 Posts

October 20th, 2009 19:00

thanks for the quick reply.  i just order one from amazon.   can you sugguest a video card?  do i have to buy a low profile one?

9 Posts

October 27th, 2009 13:00

ok i got it working now. ... not sure what i did but all i did was un-dock the laptop and power it on.  when laptop screen was primary screen i went to settingsn display and it worked. 

thansk for all your help guys...

9 Posts

ok so i got the D docking station with Radeon 7000 PCI card I had in a old computer.  So when i download the driver and plug everything in only one monitor that is plug into the PCI slot is on and displaying the screen.  My laptop screen and other monitor is off.  I tried to go to display and see if i can use the PCI monitor as any extension of my laptop screen but it will not work.

Am I doing something wrong.  please help.   I have my whole team waiting for me to get this working so we can purchase docking station for every team member.

thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You do need to use both ports.

9 Posts

another thing i have both monitor plug into the VGA port.  should i plug on into into the DVI port?

2 Posts

February 11th, 2010 11:00

Sorry I didn't read this sooner, this being nearly 4 months late. Unless you actually wanted three active displays, I'm afraid that you were advised to purchase equipment you may not have needed. 

At a former workplace I had a D620 docked to the PR01X with two monitors connected. One monitor used DVI and the other, RGB. This was possible because as with most laptops, the D620 has two displays buffers; "internal" and "external". With the PR01X port replicator you can "externalize" that internal display. While that additional display is active you will not be able use the laptop's own LCD display. Since the idea is to drive two LCD monitors that should be no big deal.

The DVI monitor was clearly brighter than the RGB and trying to match the color temperatures was a bit annoying.  When you use the PR01X docking station, you will see with your Intel display GUI that one of the displays is now digital. Once you have both displays correctly working you will see how great it is to be able to move a window from one monitor to another. You can also have wallpaper that spans both monitors. That's a bit of a trick in that you have to select "tiled".

I have seen surplus PR01X docking stations locally to my area for $8.95 but remember that a PA-10 power adapter is required for power.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

June 24th, 2010 10:00

Hi,

it is never too late :)

Early request was to manage 2 external displays in addition to the local one of the laptop. This is the reason why the requester was advised to get a real dock station including a video port.

But I would like to thank you for your valuable comments and recommandations.

Cheers

2 Posts

June 24th, 2010 11:00

Thanks for pointing out the user's intent. On  first read it looked like he wanted just the two external monitors.   I had two external monitors and it is correct that without an extra card you only have two frame buffers. The OP would indeed have to have an an additional card to drive additional monitors.

Hi,

it is never too late :)

Early request was to manage 2 external displays in addition to the local one of the laptop. This is the reason why the requester was advised to get a real dock station including a video port.

But I would like to thank you for your valuable comments and recommandations.

Cheers

No Events found!