Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2011 18:00

Password Authentication System & Dell Customer Service

I have read on the internet that people encountering problems with a "password authentication system" prohibiting their computers from booting were able to get assistance from Dell after providing original owner information.  I have just such a Dell-emma (excuse the pun) with a second-hand computer for which I do not have the correct password, but I do have accurate original owner information.

I would like to use this computer, but it will not boot beyond the bios post.  After the Dell splash screen and before Windows boots, there is a white screen that states: "This computer system is protected by a password authentication system.  You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password."

After contacting Dell, they clearly want to sell extended warranty service in order to provide support for the specified problem.  The foreign Dell representative I spoke with on the telephone would not provide me with a solution to my problem without the purchase of an extended warranty.  I am not interested in purchasing an extended warranty.  I would like to make use of the product I have purchased.  I should not be expected to pay more for a warranty simply to get my Dell computer to boot up.

I currently own no less than five Dell computers used within my home and will likely be purchasing computers again in the future.  I obviously have alternatives to the computer that will not boot, but I still deserve to get answers about the product Dell sold.  After sale service is important to me, even beyond any warranty period.  As long as a computer has time left in its life-cycle, Dell should be eager to provide good returning cusotmers with deserved answers to genuine queries.  Back your products Dell.  Don't nickel and dime your customers.

Dell's response to this sincere request from a good customer is not healthy for further customer loyalty.  Dell must first provide loyalty to their customers.

I'm angry over this incident.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you can transfer the system into your name, the cost will be for a single support incident - about $60.

If you're looking for free post-warranty support, you won't find it with Dell - or HP, Apple, Sony, Toshiba, Acer/Gateway or anyone else.

18 Posts

With all due respect EJN63, I'm not looking for an argument.  I'm looking for an answer to the problem. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 21st, 2011 19:00

1.  Have the registered owner transfer the system into your name.

2.  Pay the $60 for the support call.  They will remove the password.

If you want the other options,

3.  Replace the system board with a new one, or

4.  Return the system to the seller for a refund.

2.2K Posts

March 21st, 2011 19:00

With all due respect EJN63, I'm not looking for an argument.  I'm looking for an answer to the problem. 

There is nothing to argue about. He was simply stating how to solve your problem. Make sure the machine is registered to you, call Dell and pay them for their service.

"After sale service is important to me, even beyond any warranty period.  As long as a computer has time left in its life-cycle, Dell should be eager to provide good returning customers with deserved answers to genuine queries.  Back your products Dell.  Don't nickel and dime your customers."

First, you bought this second hand, so Dell is not mistreating a 'good returning customer.'

Second, the days of lifetime support for a computer (and many other products) is long gone. As prices have dropped, so has service. People are expected to pay for the service they want.

Third, it sure comes across as arguing that you deserve free support for a problem that was not even caused by Dell (some user input the password). Why not contact who you bought it from so they can help their customer out?

Bottom line - you know how to solve your problem, and you knew how even before you posted. Pay for the password or live with it. Don't get all indignant over people telling you the answer (that you already know) just because you don't like that answer.

EDIT: ejn... I know this was yours to respond to, but... My post pretty well sums up how I feel. How can someone talk so highly about loyalty when they did not even buy this from Dell or a Dell reseller???? Anyway, I did not mean to step on any toes....

18 Posts

March 24th, 2011 16:00

poor answers, typical of Dell support.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

They're only poor to you because they're not what you want to hear.

The truth hurts those who seek to bend it - and have an agenda that's clearly biased, as yours is.

2.2K Posts

poor answers, typical of Dell support.

We are not employed by Dell. The only answers we can give in your case are factual, so lets consider the facts.

You have a machine you bought from an unknown source, not from Dell.

The machine is out of warranty.

You need help with your machine.

You are told that you must  A) prove ownership and B) pay for the help

For some reason those facts bother you. But that does not mean our answers are poor. Our answers are 100% correct..

It sounds like you are hoping for either free support or support for a machine you are not the registered owner of.

1 Message

March 26th, 2011 19:00

Whats "FACTUAL"  is,,,,, there is help, Go google your problem, and soon, with tolerence you will find help.

2.2K Posts

March 26th, 2011 22:00

Whats "FACTUAL"  is,,,,, there is help, Go google your problem, and soon, with tolerence you will find help.

The answers we gave gave based on his expectation of help from Dell. If he wanted the help from Dell, he'd have to pay.

18 Posts

June 26th, 2011 13:00

Trashed the computer.

1 Message

January 25th, 2012 09:00

I have read on the internet that people encountering problems with a "password authentication system" prohibiting their computers from booting were able to get assistance from Dell after providing original owner information.  I have just such a Dell-emma (excuse the pun) with a second-hand computer for which I do not have the correct password, but I do have accurate original owner information.

I would like to use this computer, but it will not boot beyond the bios post.  After the Dell splash screen and before Windows boots, there is a white screen that states: "This computer system is protected by a password authentication system.  You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password."

After contacting Dell, they clearly want to sell extended warranty service in order to provide support for the specified problem.  The foreign Dell representative I spoke with on the telephone would not provide me with a solution to my problem without the purchase of an extended warranty.  I am not interested in purchasing an extended warranty.  I would like to make use of the product I have purchased.  I should not be expected to pay more for a warranty simply to get my Dell computer to boot up.

I currently own no less than five Dell computers used within my home and will likely be purchasing computers again in the future.  I obviously have alternatives to the computer that will not boot, but I still deserve to get answers about the product Dell sold.  After sale service is important to me, even beyond any warranty period.  As long as a computer has time left in its life-cycle, Dell should be eager to provide good returning cusotmers with deserved answers to genuine queries.  Back your products Dell.  Don't nickel and dime your customers.

Dell's response to this sincere request from a good customer is not healthy for further customer loyalty.  Dell must first provide loyalty to their customers.

I'm angry over this incident.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 27th, 2014 08:00

If it's a desktop, the password can be cleared by a jumper on the mainboard.  If it's a notebook, you will need to contact Dell with verification of ownership.

1 Message

April 27th, 2014 08:00

I also have a computer that has this password on it.  I received this from my daughter whom is not with us any more.  I've had this laptop for over 2 years working good, but when into Task Manager and made a mistake somehow and turn it off.  When booting again that message came up.  I don't know what to do.  I love this Dell LE6600 computer and would like to use it again.  Can I ever?

No Events found!