Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2011 14:00

Plugged In Not Charging Battery at 0% Laptop Not Turning On

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop. It is almost 4 years old. I've never had any problems with it until a week ago. I was using it when I got the low battery notification. My battery was 2%. I plugged it in but then I got the message 'Plugged In Not Charging'. So I tried uninstalling the battery drive, taking the battery out and cleaning it and then reinstalling it. Nothing. When I turned off my computer to reboot it, I got a blue screen message saying Battery Too Low and it shut down. Since then (4 days) my laptop will not start up. Regardless of if it is plugged in or not. I really have no idea what to do. I don't even care if my laptop has to always be plugged in, but I want to be able to use it and for it to start. I can't afford a new computer at the moment so I hope that I can do something to start my laptop. Any suggestions? Thank you.

51 Posts

December 13th, 2011 14:00

Make sure that the center pin in the charger end is not bent over, that will cause it to not charge.

3 Posts

December 13th, 2011 15:00

When  I went to try my laptop was somehow on? Then when I touched the battery it shut down.

Though I found that one of the parts of the charger was loose, so I pushed it back in and set the charger completely straight. I tried again to start it but no luck.

I'll try again later and report back.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2011 05:00

Didn't work sadly.

I was able to turn my laptop on. Though it still says 0% Battery and its still not charging.

Any other ideas?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 14th, 2011 06:00

There are no tricks for fixing  batteries that wont charge anymore.  The power socket may be broken.

5 Posts

December 14th, 2011 07:00

three things you can do for sure

- remove the ac adapter from the socket and the laptop and let it stand without power for an hour, remove the battery from your laptop and keep the (i) or ON button pressed for 6-10 seconds to drain the power in the system completely, then try charging the battery again.

- do a bios upgrade (support.dell.com)

- if nothing works, your ac adapter is faulty, theres nothing wrong with the system! if your system is in warranty, have a new ac adapter ordered, if not it usually costs around 10-15 $ so no problem there..

hope that helps :)

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 14th, 2011 07:00

A 4 year old battery is well beyond its normal life span. Replace it if you want but first test the socket & adapter. Remove the battery and leave it out. Use the charger without the battery. If that works, always use the charger alone. You should be replacing the 4 year laptop someday soon and replacement batteries are expensive.

No Events found!