Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 18th, 2011 02:00

Problems restoring to factory settings Dell Inspiron 17R N7010

Hi There,

I'am trying to reset my laptop to factory setings, using dell local data safe.

When the laptop reboots, I'll see the menu with the options. Unfortunatly, the option restore to factory settings will not appear.

Also the key cntrl + F11 won't work.

The restore partition is still present on my laptop.

Does anyone has an idea?

Thanks!

3.8K Posts

April 20th, 2011 13:00

Hi Remco1980,

Welcome to the Community. Use the below link to restore your computer to factory settings.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_362066&isLegacy=true

Or you can try restoring via command prompt, using the below link.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

If this does not work, then you will need to manually reinstall the OS on your computer.

Thank you

Royan

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 21st, 2011 03:00

Remco1980,

If you insert Dell data Safe disk one, then restart your computer, then press any key to boot from disk, you should be able to follow the instructions. It will ask you what files and folders you want to backup. Then  follow the instructions. The computer should have everything back to the way it was when you first receiced it.

Dell DataSafe™ Local Backup

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

4 Posts

April 21st, 2011 05:00

Hi there,

Thank you both for your answers, unfortunatly it didn't help in my case.

I've made 2 restore dvd's with dell local data save.

When I reboot my systeem and let it reboot with rescue disk 1, I recieve this error:

PCrestore.exe-system error

oledlg.dll is missing.

anyone an idea?

Remco

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 21st, 2011 06:00

Remco,

Did you make all the Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create?

Rick 

4 Posts

April 21st, 2011 08:00

Yes I did.

Only I receive the same error.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 21st, 2011 08:00

Remco,

You tried the recovery disk and tried the options to repair the computer?

Try restarting the computer and tapping F8. This should bring up a screen. See if repair the computer is listed there.

Also try How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Run the full diagnostics and post the results.

Rick

4 Posts

May 19th, 2011 02:00

Hi Rick,

All the things you've said, I tried. I have split and recized my harddisk earlyer. Could this be the problem that my restore won't work? 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 19th, 2011 04:00

Remco1980,

If you did anything to change the recovery partition, the it is possible that it has become corrupt and will not work.

Did you make Dell Data Safe disk? If not, then if in the United States Request Backup Disks USA if in another country, the contact Dell Support in your Country and explain that the recovery partition is corrupt and you need the disk to recover the system.

Rick

April 6th, 2012 06:00

Neither of these F8 options work, after selecting repair computer and pressing enter nothing happens other than windows starting up?  I am not asked to select language , restpre ..... etc.?

I have been having terrible problems with my new laptop, it is still under warranty, the screen is going fuzzy and freezing very regularly, it has been repaired twice (LCD, motherboard, DVD drive and LCD Cable all replaced completely) and the problem still persists.

I have been informed i need to reinstall windows etc. by following the above instruction, but the above instructions do not work?

My laptop is still under warranty and i am receiving little help at all in getting it to actually wor?

Please can you help me do this?  I have been e-mailing a customer services operative at Dell, I have complained and am considering reporting the problem to microsoft as i am really getting nowhere at all.  I have had a BRAND NEW laptom with full 1 year warranty and it has NEVER worked since new.  Repaired twice and it still doesnt work, and the instructions above do not correspond with the promps on my screen?

Please advise ASAP.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 6th, 2012 08:00

Sounds like you waited too long to do a Full backup and now its broken forever.

Waiting until the system no longer boots is NOT the time to do the full initial backup onto 16 gig or larger USB flash drive.

Creating a Full System Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

1      Click  then click   All Programs, click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 and click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

2      Click   Back up your files  then select Full System Backup.

3      To backup immediately, click 

Backup Now 

To select the location to backup to, or to schedule regular backups, click  

Edit Plan 

and continue to the next step.

4      Select the location to save your backup to.

You can save your backups to your hard drive, to a rewritable CD/DVD using a CD/DVD burner, or to an external memory device like a USB memory key or USB hard drive. If an external device you want to save to is not listed, make sure it is plugged in securely then click  

Refresh 

Once your location is selected, click 

Next  

5      To create a backup immediately, select   I will manually backup my system and click 

Next  

To set a backup to be run at a later time, or to schedule a regularly occurring backup, click   Backup my system automatically (recommended) and specify the time and date(s) to run the backup then click 

Next  

6      To change any selections, click 

Back  

If you chose to schedule a recurring backup and would like to start an initial backup now, click   Start this backup now.

Once satisfied with your selections, click

Finish  

Additional Information: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Refer to the following links for additional information on Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0? Article ID: 353560

Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353561

Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353562

Creating a Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353563

Restoring from a Backup Using DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353564

Upgrading To Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Professional Article ID: 353565

Frequently Asked Questions: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353566

April 6th, 2012 17:00

i didnt know i needed to do a full backup.  The laptop has been faulty since it was delivered so i have no files stored on here at all.  I am not completely computer illeterate but i didn't realise you had to backup the hard drive to stop the operating system from failing, i thought if you just wanted you files to be protected etc.

There is nothing on here so it can be wiped.

But its now broken forever?!

Well it was broken when it was delivered to me new so i just want a refund now.  Waited long enough.  I have tried to do what the tech support guys suggested but can't!

Thanks for your help though guys.  Will try the Dell Data Safe thing first and see if it has any effect on me being able to restore to factory settings, but by 'broken forever' i'm guessing this means it can't be done???

3 Posts

April 30th, 2012 18:00

sorry to hear your having similar problems to me, i was told to request a factory reset image disk, this sets your computer to how it was supplied from the factory new, ive contacted customer support, so far i've had no reply from dell but i live in hope.

No Events found!