Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2009 00:00

Problems with Dell XPS keyboard

I have a Dell Studio XPS laptop. My keyboard types the function with the CTRL key even when I dont press it. for eg. as I am typing T right now, the New Tab window was opening. same is with H (opens History) and F (opens Favourites). This inspite of me not pressing the CTRL key. I have run the diagnostics but the results were ok. Pls help asap. My computer is just a week old.

18 Posts

September 17th, 2009 12:00

Found this thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19260013/19435392.aspx#19435392

It appears our problem is from the touchpad and can be fixed by updating the ALP Touch:

"I am confident it has to do with the touchpad.  Lookup the alps driver by going to the Dell Support Center on your computer --then update only the driver for your touchpad.  Then go into your touch pad settings and change the touchcheck to maximum.  I did this and have not had a problem since.  Don't let Dell do the updating for you as they have no clue what is going on."

18 Posts

September 17th, 2009 12:00

I'm having the same problem! It's intermittent, and I'm usually only typing when I'm on the internet so it happens when I'm using Google Chrome.  I am running Windows 7 64 Bit,  so maybe that's causing problems too? My laptop is a week old today, and it started doing it two days ago.  I just thought I had sloppy typing, but I'm not even close to the CTRL key right now.  

What version of Windows are you using?

September 17th, 2009 23:00

I very much doubt its the OS since I'm using Vista. The problem occurs with IE as well and is not just limited to Internet browsing. I tried the Alps driver thing long back. But no Good. After much thought I've come to the conclusion that it has to be the keyboards ergonomics. There's insufficient space to rest the palms on the keyboard and hence you unintentionally end up pressing the Right Ctrl key. Try not resting the palms at all and you wont have the problem. Please revert with your comments. 

No Events found!