Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2013 20:00

Quickset not working - XPS17

I have an XPS17 and recently noticed that the "customized by Dell" portion of the Windows Mobility Center no longer works.  I was told the bottom info is somehow related to the Quickstart application.  You can see in the picture below what it is supposed to look like on the left, and what mine looks like on the right.  None of the "customized by Dell" functions work anymore.  I'm not sure when it got screwed up but it might have been when I flashed the new bios earlier this month.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

10 Posts

April 7th, 2013 17:00

Hey I solved this issue.  I have no idea why Quickset needs internet access, but it was being blocked by Xfinity Constant Guard.  When I unblocked it, the Quickset menu returned to normal and is now functioning normally.

2.6K Posts

January 29th, 2013 20:00

Hello Bullgator,

We need to install Quickset, which might help us in fixing the issue. Please click here to download and install the Quickset for the system. Once installed, restart the computer and check the functionality. 

Please write back for further questions. 

10 Posts

January 30th, 2013 14:00

Sorry I didn't fully explain.  It's a long story.

It began with a headphone jack which did not retain the plug.  A tech came out and replaced the sound board but that jack was also defective.  We are still working on that...

In the mean time I noticed that the keyboard backlight was not working.  I called customer support back.  The technician uninstalled and reinstalled Quickset.  I could tell the Quickset display was not quite right but I couldn't put my finger on what it was.  The keyboard backlight still did not work.  The tech scheduled an on site visit with another tech which hasn't taken place yet. 

Then last night the keyboard backlight started working.  I spoke with another tech who said we should still do the on site visit.  I spoke with the on site tech who is coming tomorrow to check the hardware.

That leaves me with a Quickset installation that is not showing what it is supposed to show.  I couldn't remember what it looked like before until I saw the above post last night.  I took a screen shot to show how my display differed from what it is supposed to show.  The icons are missing and none of the options actually work.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Quickset L702X_A18 with no improvement.  I installed some programs last week so I did a system restore to before that point with no improvement.  I flashed the bios a few weeks ago so I rolled back one bios version with no improvement.

Today I tried to install the version from the link you gave me (which leads to R295128.exe) and I get the error: This is not a supported system.

I just uninstalled Quickset while I wait for a solution.

10 Posts

January 31st, 2013 11:00

I had a visit from the service tech who replaced the keyboard.  I also took photographs of a problematic headphone jack which I will post separately.

The problem with Quickset is still present.  Quickset is not demonstrating its usual icons and the pushbuttons do not work. The buttons control things like keyboard backlight and bluetooth which I assume would be different drivers so I am wondering if it is a problem with the application itself.  Uninstalling again.

2.6K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 07:00

Hello Bullgator,

In this case, trying updating the BIOS to the latest version can be tried. Please click here to get the latest BIOS version.  
**NOTE: Few things to ensure before updating the Bios is, the Ac Adapter should be plugged in and the battery should have minimum of 15% charge. No other external peripherals should be connected to the computer. Please ensure that the Bios update should not be interrupted else it would damage the motherboard. 

Once done, uninstall Quickset if already installed. Restart the computer and then re-install Quickset
Please write back for further questions. 

10 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 19:00

Thank you Allan D for your response.  I updated the BIOS to the version in your link, and I reinstalled Quickset as you instructed.  Unfortunately the problem remains present. 

The icons in the "customized by Dell" section of the Windows Mobility Center are still missing.  If I try to use one of the controls, to launch bluetooth for example, the button presses but instantly greys out and cannot be pressed again.  Interestingly, the bluetooth stilll works even though the control panel cannot be launched.  The hotkey Fn F6 still controls the brightness of the keyboard backlight even though the slider in the "customized by Dell" section does not work.

The other two buttons in the control strip which control the instant launch and the Dell Audio system are working normally.

I am curious as to where those missing icons in the "customized by Dell" section are supposed to come from.  Perhaps some file or driver has been corrupted and is no longer giving Quickset accurate configuration information.  I am very curious as to why my system is behaving this way and would like to hear further suggestions for troubleshooting.  Thank you again for your interest.

2.6K Posts

February 5th, 2013 08:00

Hello Bullgator,

In this case, I would suggest uninstalling the Quickset with revo uninstaller. Once uninstalled, create a new user account (please ensure to create an admin account) and try re-installing the Quickset through the new user account. Restart the computer and check the functionality.  

10 Posts

February 5th, 2013 21:00

That's interesting.  It works under the new account but the old account is still broken. 

2.6K Posts

February 7th, 2013 08:00

Hello Bullgator,

It seems that the issue is with the user profile. Since it works in the new user account, I would suggest you to use the new one. I am sure you must have a lot of data in your old account. Hence please transfer all the data from the old account to the new one
**Note: Do not delete the folders and files from the account they are in until you are sure they are duplicated where you need them.
Once the files are transferred, the old account can be deleted. 

Hope this helps! 

2.6K Posts

February 11th, 2013 10:00

Hello Bullgator,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

No Events found!