Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2012 22:00

Reinstallation Dvd for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit won't load

Hi:  I bought two studio 1557 lap tops, 64 bit, on same Order.  I loaded Windows 8 on one, and now I am trying to roll back out of it, and I am alarmed that no recovery plan I can think of works.

The windows Repair disks don't load Error 0x4001100200001012 in either machine.  This is a common failure.  (I wish I had tried to load them during the warranty period.)

The Reinstallation Dvd for Windows professional 64-bit.  I got two (unlike other posters).  But neither one will load in either machine.  I converted the DVD to flash.  Still won't load.

Is there a common fix for this?  Ask for a new DVD for windows PRO???  (I am a little concerned that I didn't get the Green Certificate of Authenticity with either of these machines.  I thought I could get it from the System Control Panel, but the second sequence of 4 digits contain OEM on the working Dell. xxxx-OEM-xxxx-xxxx  Is this a valid Product Key?  I didn't write it down from the second dell, which now shows the Windows 8 product key.  Does dell have a record of what they shipped to me???)

Art

5 Posts

April 19th, 2012 10:00

ieee488:  I took you advise to rebuild it from the Dell re-install Dvd.  I had to put my Dell in the freezer to get the Dvd to load, and I had to blow in the fan holes during the Uncompress step of Windows.  I don't know why the fan is insufficient during boot -- that is the remaining problem I will have to address sometime.

And I made the Repair Disc for Windows using the new (rebuilt) OS, before installing the Dell DVD.  And the repair disk

worked!!  (After putting the Computer in the freezer again.)

So, thanks again, everyone!!  You rescued my Dell from being a boat anchor.

Art

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

April 18th, 2012 07:00

I wouldn't be doing a repair. I would do a brand new install of Windows 7 with the Dell DVD.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

April 18th, 2012 08:00

You must boot to the win 7 dvd by tapping F12 as soon as you reboot and choosing the cd-dvd drive. You usually won't need the key, but in case you do, it's on a sticker on the computer. It's either on the bottom or in the battery compartment.

You will need to select Custom install when you reinstall and drive options to delete the C partition with windows 8, then install win 7. Directions here under Custom installation with formatting: windows.microsoft.com/.../Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 18th, 2012 11:00

Dell's with Data Safe 2.0 will error out  Error 0x4001100200001012.  Unless you made a Full Backup onto 16 Gig or LARGER usb Flash Drive you will never ever recover again.

Creating a Full System Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

1      Click  then click   All Programs, click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 and click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

2      Click   Back up your files  then select Full System Backup.

3      To backup immediately, click 

Backup Now 

To select the location to backup to, or to schedule regular backups, click  

Edit Plan 

and continue to the next step.

4      Select the location to save your backup to.

You can save your backups to your hard drive, to a rewritable CD/DVD using a CD/DVD burner, or to an external memory device like a  16 GIG Or Larger USB memory key or USB hard drive. If an external device you want to save to is not listed, make sure it is plugged in securely then click  

Refresh 

Once your location is selected, click 

Next  

5      To create a backup immediately, select   I will manually backup my system and click 

Next  

To set a backup to be run at a later time, or to schedule a regularly occurring backup, click   Backup my system automatically (recommended) and specify the time and date(s) to run the backup then click 

Next  

6      To change any selections, click 

Back  

If you chose to schedule a recurring backup and would like to start an initial backup now, click   Start this backup now.

Once satisfied with your selections, click

Finish  

Additional Information: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Refer to the following links for additional information on Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0? Article ID: 353560

Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353561

Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353562

Creating a Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353563

Restoring from a Backup Using DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353564

Upgrading To Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Professional Article ID: 353565

Frequently Asked Questions: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353566

5 Posts

April 18th, 2012 14:00

Mary:  Thanks so much.  Yes they were there in the battery compartment.  The battery compartment is probably a safer place for the Certificates of Authenticity.  So safe I could not find them until your instruction.

I forgot to say the Repair disk errs out with 0x4001100200001012 and the Windows Reinstallation Disk for Windows Pro 64bit triggers the thermal cut out, I think.  It seems to load ok and after about 1 minute with the fan running, the computer shuts down.  It's pretty hot, so I think it's a thermal switch.  The computer is a 1557 with 8 CPU's and 4gig Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz.  Is there any way that I could slow it down by setting something in Setup, disabling some of the CPU's, or pulling out some of the memory, so I can see if I can hold off the thermal until I see if the Windows Reinstallation Disk works.  (The computer shut down when my wife was playing games, but it seems to not shut down when just idling.)

Art

5 Posts

April 18th, 2012 15:00

ieee488:  Do you mean the Reinstallation Dvd that came with the computer.  As I explained to Mary, the Reinstallation Dvd won't load.  I think do to a thermal cut out.  The machine shuts down before I get the Screen asking me what language.

I was able to load a Windows Repair Dvd from an HP-machine, and get to the command prompt window.  There was a windows.old folder, so I tried to restore the Windows 7 environment thusly:

move /y D:\Windows.old\Windows  D:\     worked

move /y "D:\Windows.old\Program Files"  D:\      worked

move /y D:\Windows.old\ProgramData D:\      worked

move /y D:\Windows.old\Users  D:\      worked

there was no D:\Windows.old\Documents and Settings folder

there was a folder D:\Windows.old\Programs Files (x86) so I typed

move /y "D:\Windows.old\Program Files (x86)"  D:\     and I got access denied

On the chance the Windows 8 did not use D:\Program Files (x86) I ignored the error.

Do I have to escape the (x86) some other way???

I tried both the bootsec /nt52  D:

and        bootsec /nt60 D:

Neither one worked.  But this is because I was using the HP Dvd?  Yes???

I am not sure whether I did the

copy boot.ini.saved boot.ini

I am not sure whether it was coming from the Hard Drive where windows.old was or from the HP Dvd???  If it were from the HP Dvd, likely it wouldn't have worked, would it???

If anyone has any has any answers to my ??? questions, I will try again to restore my Windows 7 (against the protetations of Microsoft that it can't be done.)  But it would help if I could use my Dell made Windows Repair Dvd's.

Art

5 Posts

April 18th, 2012 15:00

SpeedStep:  I have backup made with Data Safe to two Dvd's each for the two machines immediately when I bought them.  I am trying to use the Repair Dvd to reload them.  But neither Repair Dvd loads in either machine.  Not the Windows 8 machine that I am trying to restore, nor my other Windows 7 Pro machine which is still working.  I made the two backup Dvd'd at the same time, so can I use either backup with the repair Dvd's, once I get them to load???  Is it true that the Repair DVD can use the backup Dvd's that I made???

Art

No Events found!