Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2013 09:00

Reset Dell Service and Asset Tag

I recently replaced the motherboard on my Dell Inspiron 9200.  It is a Dell OEM board, new, not refurbished.  The replacement kit for the system board did not include the CD with the utility for transferring the service tag to the system board's BIOS chip (I have the Service Tag -- -- which is visible on a barcode label on the bottom of the computer).  Elements of the Dell Resouce CD will not run unless I am able to add the Serice Tag to the BIOS.  I downloaded asset.com from the dell ftp site, put it on a 3.5" floppy (remember those?) and followed the instruction at < ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.  When I run "a:\>asset" it reports the Service Tag, Asset Tag, and User Tag are blank, as one would assume with a new motherboard, but when I try "a:\>asset /s " I receive an error message stating that cmd format "a:\> asset " is incorrect. I also tried asset_a209.exe which is a newer version of the utility from Dell but it will not run on my system at all.  I tried, too, asseta00.exe which is another version from Dell but it will not run either.  BIOS version is A01.  BIOS setup password has been disabled.  Any ideas how to set the Service Tag and Asset Tag?

June 10th, 2013 14:00

Hah! So Dell will remove the service tag from your post (for no REAL reason), but not provide any answers. Way to go, Dell!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 10th, 2013 14:00

The Service Tag Utility for Laptops is on a Bootable CD that is for Dell Authorized Techs only.

June 10th, 2013 15:00

What about the asset tag?

No Events found!